Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is a photo of one of just three friends enjoying a Hobie day out last Wednesday on Lake Tyers in Gippsland. Tremendous and most memorable day was had by us three who sailed and peddled up to the far reaches of the lake. Here is Mike (Mickey) in the photo waving to passer-bys travelling on an electric boat on the lake.
In the photo the kart can be seen being carried inverted in the scuppers which incidentally I do also.
Question: Mike was concerned afterward he might do some damage to the boat carrying the kart this way but I assured him I had being doing it that way for two years without a problem. However I was wondering if anyone had a bad experience doing it this way as it does put some pressure on the walls of the scupper tubes?....Pirate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I always carry my cart in that position there dosn't seem to have any strain.
But sometimes if the backs full I fit it on the front hatch cliping the shock cord through the rail's that works perfectly fine, also if you know where your going I also store a bit of carpet on top of the hatch, so you don't get scratch marks under the bow ie pebble beach's & concrete boat ramps.
ainut{Tinut now}

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for that AI/TINUT. So there is no confusion I should tell you I carry my cart forward of the cross bar which does not intrude in any way on loading up the storage area behind. Is that the same with you? ......Pirate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I tried it for awhile with my 2008 hull and did not like the feel of it. It may be different on the newer hulls.

My cart posts could only be partially inserted, wedged in at an odd angle. I worried about leaning back or falling on them and puncturing the scuppers.

It's too bad the scupper holes and crossbars aren't placed a little differently, to allow straight cart insertion from the top and maybe the wheels resting on the gunwales.

Of course, then you'll have your cart in salt water all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On my old Revo, that's where I used to put it. As long as I didn't have the seat reclined too far back I never leaned on the upturned cart.

I understand that on later AIs the scupper hole/crossbar alignment is even worse, so you can't even insert the cart at all - is that right?

Mike.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mingle wrote:
On my old Revo, that's where I used to put it. As long as I didn't have the seat reclined too far back I never leaned on the upturned cart.

I understand that on later AIs the scupper hole/crossbar alignment is even worse, so you can't even insert the cart at all - is that right?

Mike.

You can stick it into the neck of the scupper but the angle does not allow for full insertion. I have my rear cross bar padded with lagging so it in affect makes it even worse so the scupper holes simply locate the cart bars, and an elastic strap secures it....Pirate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My AI is a 2010 model and it is very hard to get the kart in due to the crossbar, tis really annoying because it could have been a perfect storage option.