Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I cannot lift my AI on my own, and for the most part have nobody to help me get it on and off the car etc. I am wondering if anyone has tried towing the AI behind a bicycle using the hobie wheels. I live 2 blocks from the water, but too far to walk it. I have a kids trailer and thought maybe i can convert that somehow. Any ideas here would be welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Seems a "do-able" task. There is a product out there that attaches to your seat post and is basically an arm that goes straight back that you would attach your bow handle to. I think with the right wheels on your kayak cart and careful loading (to keep the tounge weight down) of the items you intend to bring you will be all set. That is if your bike has the right gearing!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's a Canadian company who makes some interesting products. I've seen them in person, and they look like they're very well built. They have a few versions of "canoe/kayak" trailers for bikes.

http://www.wike.ca/canoe_woody_wagon_bicycle_trailer.php

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sirtopham wrote:
I cannot lift my AI on my own, and for the most part have nobody to help me get it on and off the car etc.

Loading an AI onto a roof-rack single-handed is a lot easier if you use a lateral extension bar, like this one: http://www.rackandroll.net.au/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sirtopham wrote:
I live 2 blocks from the water, but too far to walk it.

If you think two blocks are too far to walk you probably won't be able to ride a bike that far towing your boat. Besides, towing an AI behind a bicycle on a street is dangerous. You might have the power to peddle the bike but I am sure the bike doesn't have the brakes to stop when towing a trailer.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jerry D,

I do think that sometimes you have to give people a bit of a break. I've tried out the trailer that I showed above, and it's MUCH easier to move the boat with the bike then by hand. I also know that braking wasn't an issue. As far as biking the boat down the road, and it being unsafe. I walk my AI about 3 blocks to the water, right down the middle of the road, every time that I go boating. There are all kinds of kids who play in the road. Some neighbourhoods are more safe then others for this type of thing.

Sirtopham will have to be careful, and make sure that his bike has working brakes, and proper gearing, but sometimes you have to let someone judge for themselves. It sounds like the alternative is to not use his boat at all. That would be a shame. He's asking for options, let's give him options and let him use his own common sense to know if that is the smart thing for him to do or not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have successfully towed a complete TI (amas, akas, mast, mirages, PFDs, water bottles, you name it) behind a bicycle on quiet roads for about 1 or 2km at a time (to the nearest river), but honestly it is only feasible on the flat in (cheap) mountain bike first gear, go slightly uphill and you will be looking for someone (one of my children in my case) to give you a little push. Any more than slightly uphill and you are both walking and pushing. An AI would be easier of course.
It may be illegal (overlength) I think, in Australia anyway, though fun and reasonably practical. Good exercise for the mirage muscles too.
Note: the hobie heavy duty cart is really not brilliant for towing behind a push bike, would be better I expect with bicycle size narrow wheels (less road friction) and ball bearing hubs. That aside, I can't see what else I'd change to my el cheapo version, it works fine (though an engine would be good).
If you want to try the el cheapo version, it is easy enough to rig up, I used some plumbers PVC fittings to make a quick release-able mount using the mast socket, a length of heavy dowel attached (via short tight bungee cord) to the forward hand-lift point on the yak, and a bunch of marine shock cord to attach reasonable tightly with multiple wraps to an old bicycle saddle. I leave the whole issue padlocked to the bike onshore while I head down the river. (I store it all, from saddle to mast, as one assembly and just swap a different saddle onto the bike when I want to use the bike without the yak).
I did find that it is important to have the articulation back at the saddle; my first attempt had the dowel attached to the bicycle crossbar with the articulation some inches behind the back wheel: was uncontrollable, yak kept trying to knock me off the bike...
PS It's "fun" doing 90 degree turns (or u-turns)....you cycle about 100mph and the kayak very slowly rotates around the wheels (I use the centre cart mount so as the bike doesn't take much downward load at the hitch point).
PPS the standard cheap bicycle brakes work just fine (mind you, I only go on the flat-tish and I take it steady)