Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm looking at purchasing a Tandem Island and would like to demo one. Does anyone know of a dealer that demo's these in Florida? I'll be on Anna Maria Island in June and southeast Florida/ the keys later in the summer. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

You can try here: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/events/

Many dealers do demos, so use the "Find a Dealer" link at the top of the site to find a dealer where you are headed..

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

travt:
When you come to Anna Maria Island in June I recommend you stop in at Economy Tackle in Sarasota (http://www.floridakayak.com/index.php/home). They are a Hobie dealer and have monthly Demo days at a local park (Ackerman park in Sarasota) where you get an oportunity to test drive all of their different Kayaks including the adventure and tandem islands (there was a demo day today actually). They are a very nice bunch of people and really stand behind their products, plus they are very knowledgable and capable at repair also if the need arises. We went to the demo days when we first bought our kayaks and it made a huge difference test driving 3 or 4 different types, we settled on the Oasis, Revolution, and last year bought a Tandem Island (around this time of year actually when they first became available). I have to tell you that I am so happy I bought the TI it is by far the most versatile boat I have ever seen or used (and I use the heck out of it). There is another Hobie dealer in Pinellis Park, but I don't know them. If it doesn't work out to get a demo, I am out every weekend, I would be more than happy to take you for a ride (you can't borrow my boat though). I always launch from City Island (at the south end of longboat key (the next key south of Anna Maria), right next to Mote Marine sancuary). There is a nice little park to launch from right next to Sarasota Sailing squadron, I have launched from City Island and sailed to Anna Maria Island at least a dozen times ( we also like to go up to Egmont Key and scuba dive (from the TI), the rest of the time we are down in Key West (about once a month diving and island hopping) Good Luck
Bob

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob, Thanks for all the info, that is exactly what I was looking for. I'll give economy tackle a call to see if they are having a demo day while I'm down there. I'll go by and check out the shop either way. I have been through Hobie's entire product line but have finally settled on the TI, Like you, I think it will be the most versatile boat they have. Thanks a lot for the offer to take me out, that is very generous . My ski boat goes up for sale tomorrow. It's a bit difficult to swallow the fact that the TI is going to cost more than I can get for my V8 powered wakeboard boat! But I know we'll love it. We've got some beautiful lakes here in western NC but we're looking to relocate to Florida, which looks to be ideal for the TI. Thank again.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi;
I did a demo ride in St. Petersburg from "The Tackle Shack" on our Florida Easter vacation. The ride was great and resulted in my buying a TI from them. They charge $100 for the demo, but apply it to the price if you buy.

They air shipped it to me in Michigan for a total price that was still hundreds $$ less than buying it locally. Not sure why???

We've had many weekends of pure fun on the TI on Lake Huron recently. I am absolutely happy with my purchase. This is the perfect boat for me and my family.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's a long way from where you'll be but Black Creek Outfitters in Jacksonville will let you demo one if they have one in stock. If they don't have one in stock I'll be glad to take you out for a ride in mine.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

@dosjers Thanks a lot for the offer. Hobie owners are a very generous bunch!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you haven't already got a demo there is a Hobie rental place in Key Largo that rents the AI. They are called Florida Bay Outfitters. Here is their website: http://kayakfloridakeys.com/

You may want to contact them and see if they have the tandem.