Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

On Wednesday, June 8, 2011 Myself, Efren, and Adam went to Surfside/Freeport. Our plan was to sail out to a rig 6 miles offshore, but things did not work out as plan. While heading out 3 miles south from Surfside jetty, we notice a big cloud formation and it looked like a possible rain/storm cloud. So we all decide to turn around and head back. While heading back it seem like the fish activity started, trolling lures I immediately get a screaming run, then Efren calls me on the VHF and says he got a run too, mean while I pull up a 39" King, Efren calls back and said he lost his, not too long he gets another run and has a king on, he lands it but release it because it was undersize. We all head back to the launch point ate some food/drink re did some tackle and head back out, Adam heads out first. While heading out the water in the channel was emerald green we saw bird activity in the channel so I choose a small 3" russle (silver lure) and troll over the activity, and wham it happens, I was fish on! after the first 10 mins I was still fighting this fish, then another 15 mins pass by, still fighting it, at this point I am thinking it is either a shark or a jack, it takes me close to an hour fighting this dang fish in the channel with boats going by almost crashing into the jetty and almost getting tangled into a boats anchor. I finally got this bad boy tired pulling it up revealing to be a whapping 43" Jack Crevelle. This was the middle of the day.

Heading out I get a call from Efren around the 2nd buoy that he got fish on, by the time I got to him, he already got the Spanish Mac landed, I got real close to him and one of my amas (pontoons) hit his with some force, and the safety screw broke on my aka arm, so I had to pull in one arm sailing back with one arm pulled in, went back to the launch area with efren, and replaced the safety screw and now I am as good as new, we head back out again, this time the winds picked up and the waves picked up from 1-2 footer now 3-4 footer and sometimes 5-6 foot waves. Efren calls me again he is hooked up on something that was a screaming run, near the end of the jetties, in these massive waves, it took him 30 to 45 mins to fight. And he pulled up and lands a blacktip shark 4.5 foot long he bagged it on the kayak. After that long fight he was exhausted so we decide to call it a day. No Rigs just sailing near the buoys and around the jetty ALL FISH WHERE CAUGHT WITH artificial lures.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6RWJ-5I-Yw[/youtube]

Last edited by Living Waters on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Interrupted Plans
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great post! I just got a TI and would love to hear about your rod holder setup and cameras and mounts. Thanks.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

Post subject: Re: Interrupted Plans
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

IslandHoppa27 wrote:
Great post! I just got a TI and would love to hear about your rod holder setup and cameras and mounts. Thanks.

Sure Here is my Roll Bar I just finished, but in the video I got the Scotty base mounted on both aka bars for trolling.

I just built my Roll Bar for my HAI, to keep the sail line in check, and hold my rods higher up from the water line, and accommodated it to work with Scotty products for trolling rods. The Roll Bar holds 4 rods at this time, but I can make it hold up to 6 rods if I wanted to, but I just think thats way too many rods to bring out there, my max rods is 3 for now. I dont take all the credit for building the PVC Roll Bar Efren (Ivory Dagger) helped me out big time, I would have been lost if it was'nt for good o Ivory Dagger.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the fast reply.

What holds the bar in place, what's the red on the bottom of the tubes?

What cameras and mounts do you use?

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

IslandHoppa27 wrote:
Thanks for the fast reply.

What holds the bar in place, what's the red on the bottom of the tubes?

What cameras and mounts do you use?

What holds the 1 1/4 pvc in place is pvc primer & pvc cement.

The red on the bottom is rubber dip (I just had the red color)

We use 2 camera mounts, 1 is custom made on a boat puller pole, the other one is a clamp mount we put togeather parts from the hardware store, I dont know the names of each part, buts one is a orange clamp, small pvc stuff, etc.. most of the ideas and insparation is from Halibu77 (Rudy) youtube site.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HALIBU77

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yeah, Rudy is awesome. He's a big part of why I now own a TI. I DREAM OF SAILING AND FISHING LIKE HE DOES.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA