Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi fellow 'Sharp Eyes'

It' s come to my attention, that a lot of highly skilled imaging users of this 'Swiss Army Knife' of Sailyaks, actually use these amazing crafts as a photography platform using either still or motion imaging (or both) to suit their creative eyes.
As photo imaging can use up a lot of server space, is there any interest among us to respectfully ask Hobie to allow the set up of a separate Island Imaging Area when we can exchange Images, photo skills and further the aim of the AI/TIs for not exactly a 'niche' market in this purpose.
Your thoughts are welcomed.
(If you image for a living, may I strongly suggest that you 'watermark' your images to counter possible copyright infringements)

Trinomite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are you asking for a separate forum category for photography?
If so, I am for that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mark
Yah I am. Due to a lot of the advanced Photo images are quite high in res and suck possible bandwidth (storage allocations) from other forums.
Plus unless you are into imaging, reading the tech chat may be like watching your dog scratch himself (good for him, useless for you unless you`re a dog)
The bonus for Hobie, they can get some amazing shots of their Islands that certainly can`t hurt the promo of these vessels....
Fred

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok. Sounds good to me. If you look around you will find some great photos and photographers here. So I think having a photography section would be pretty cool.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yah Indeed, Mark
I`ve been looking not just here but other places.
All respects due, Josh Holmes of Yakass.net has produced some of the most dramatic, well edited action videos I have ever seen here. His level of imaging is at a level that few can compare to not only as a video expert but as a highly accomplished `fisho`(as they say Down Under).
Yet as I said the tri config of the Isalnds make an incredibly versatile photo platform....Not just for action photography but as a means to explore aerial, underwater still or motion imaging.

I use a 3 meter parafoil kite to get exercise dragging me down the beach. on my heels..
I have rarely ever seen a remote camera attached to a kite not just for images but also a traction kite to keep the platform moving.....

What about helium bags...

Just one of thousands of possibilities. We just need `room`to play.
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another idea that I would like us to consider, Is a sub folder for Allowable free form.

There are people like myself who have `tweaked `professional images in Photoshop almost all of my pro life. There are also highly skilled people who are expert video editors. We all seem to have a `special skill`perhaps.
We also can learn from each other...

So the Edit Allowed sub folder can be tweaked by anyone.
(Yet if you edit the image(s) you must post how and what you did to achieve the process, time line edits, effects so it becomes a learning process). You must also preserve the original and make a save as of your version when you repost the edited image, posting the name of the creator of the image)

The NO Edit sub folder is not allowed to be tweaked and posted.
This respects the creative intent (and integrity) of the owner of the original Image(s)

Please let me know what you think

Fred

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:05 am 
Site Admin

I set up a forum for photo discussions: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=85

We do not host images on our servers, so that would have to be done off our site / forums by someone else.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Matt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
...We do not host images on our servers, so that would have to be done off our site / forums by someone else.

I can understand that - there is a tendency of getting "wrong" photos on your server (improper content or copyrighted stuff) if you open it up for public access. And the owner of the server is responsible for the server content -at least in Sweden where I live. Sad though, because the idea is great! Uploading the images directly sure would make things easier.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There's nothing to stop anyone downloading any photo published on the forums, tweaking it and then uploading the tweaked version. The only problem is that the versions of images that are published on the forum are necessarily low-resolution, otherwise they appear huge on the screen and take forever to load.
One solution is to use Dropbox, which I've mentioned before: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=33803&p=134650
This gives you some control over the server, as the original image remains on your computer and is synced to the Dropbox server. It also makes it possible to publish a forum-friendly, low-res version of an image, plus a link to the original high-res image, for tweaking purposes.