Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winning an AI Ride
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been helping out at our local Community Sailing Center with Kids Camp Weeks. Last month, we had a full class of 20 kids, then an overflow class of 10 a couple of weeks later. They mostly sail Sunfish, with a few smaller ones in Optimist prams and Open Bics.

Monday through Thursday, I would bring my Boston Whaler to chase errant kids, but by Friday they have (or should have) learned to chase me. I bring our Adventure Islands and put mine in the water, which creates a huge distraction for the kids. They're fascinated, and all want to try it.

I tell them: any kid who beats me in a two lap race gets to try my wife's boat after all the Center boats are put away. In the predominantly light air, beating an Adventure Island with a Sunfish is fairly easy, but only if you do not make too many mistakes.

None of the kids managed it the first week, but two from the second group did. Only one could stay late, so the other got a raincheck, but I let two of our helper kids try the AI since I had both in the water.

The two boys on the left were the ones who beat me. The girl chasing them will be able to soon enough.

I caught them screaming with joy at the beginning of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyeI9xmuwXw