Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Because my AI is a 2010 the new tiller handle for the newer boat wont work so I modified the handle . I made an aluminum handle to reenforce the plastic handle ,(I already broke two handles a the tip from using a tiller extension, it put extra pressure on the plastic handle tip). I tested the new handle in heavy condition and it work great with the tiller extension that way I can sail sitting on the the rear cross bar(I put two high density foam cushion on the bar when I dont use the tramps, it's quite comfortable) sailing that way is a blast in good wind you can realy fly and the more you lean back the more speed you get as the front bow will lift up.I also added a jib for increase speed.

I made the handle by using an aluminum pipe that I cut in half and shape it over the plastic handle then cut two plates for the top of the handle and cover with a rubber hose (when I don't use the extension I cover the hose with a rubber handle as seen on the photo.) For the tiller extension I use a plastic pipe and inserted a 90 degre elbow. See the link below for the pictures.

Anybody else use a tiller extension and sail by seating on the cross bar?

Happy sailing

Dan

http://s488.photobucket.com/albums/rr24 ... ts/Handle/