Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I want to buy a TI and my dealer has ONE in the showroom assembled $4999. It's new, but it has been sitting fully rigged (minus sail) since they got it (a 2011) and I am wondering if Hobie is going to warranty all the bungies that are stretched out due to being in place all this time. I ask this because the rear left AKA does not stay in the hole like the other three do. With the bungie pulled up into the first clippy round thingy, the ama hangs off about three inches. That cord has clearly given up the ghost. When that ama's flying, it's gonna be flopping around trying to come off. I will expect them to rectify that at sale, but what about all the others that may fail in the near future because they are all stretched out already? I wouldn't ask if it were just a matter of bungies, but these things are integrated into their clips and everything. I'm sure they are as expensive as everything else associated with these boats.

Also, this boat doesn't have the new recall rudder, will I expect Hobie to take care of that for me after I register?

I really didn't want to buy a floor model, but they said they are not going to order any more till spring and I have to take the one they have. At least it's the yellow I wanted (matches my Chevy Colorado).

Should I be concerned about this aka not staying in it's hole? I tend to flip boats and I don't need this thing disassembling while I am trying to right it and parts falling in the water...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The dealer should just replace the bungee(s) and anything else not 100% before it goes out the door. How they handle it with Hobie, shouldn't involve you. They should also already have the new rudder and should install it. At least any good dealer would (mine would!). If not, I'd be looking for a better dealer.
Hopefully they just haven't made clear to you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's a Backpacker in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and it's the nearest dealer for 6 to 8 hours drive. Not like I have a choice. Oh, but they will order me a new one for $225 extra for shipping...

I wasn't asking how they handle warranty issues, I was asking how Hobie's gonna handle warranty on stuff that is worn out when I buy the boat. Bungies left stretched out to the max for a year are not going to be in "new" condition. And these are not just cheap bungies, they are very expensive bungies with fittings...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Madwand
I would consider that boat as a well worn demo. Remember that boat has been poked at, sat on by Gawd knows how many adults, kids and the result is something I doubt most active users of a 'new boat' have issues with. Bungies are used to keep the amas connected with the help of gravity and should not be stretched unless someone decided to sit on them unsupported.

That boat's price is at suggested retail (at least the last time I checked locally)
Yet it seems it needs work.

Look at it this way, that boat has sat there and helped the dealer possibly sell more boats so he has already gotten the write-off for promotional overhead.

If I were you, I'd take a friend who knows more about these boats than you do. Have him/her check the boat over carefully.

If it is minor no biggy.
If it is major walk away and order a 2012 from the factory (add $250 to the price).
Or consider offering the dealer 10-15% less than his asking price...
Remember the new 2012 models have been released to the dealers.
He may just go for it.
Better yet, wait until the end of Labour Day. People's thoughts drift the other way when they have to buy clothing and school supplies for their kids. (The dealer also knows this and will put this puppy up on a discount if you wait long enough)

I know North Americans are really bad at bargaining. Please let's change that image. (Remember also, right now the Stock Market is sheit as is the Economy, you, with 5k have incredible bargaining power (it is called a buyer`s market, Advantage Mr. Madwand)

Btw: The warranty is with Hobie, not your dealer. It is up to the dealer to do repair, replacement as required. The dealer gets payed by Hobie to honor the Factory warranty on the vessel. It must be made effective from the date when you purchase the vessel)

DO NOT buy this boat AS IS!

If you ever bought an open box item from Best Buy (or other retailers) a 10% discount is considered standard. It saves them the cost and hassle of sending the item back to the supplier (usually in Asia). Yet full warranty is still in effect as you purchase this product.
You are considering buying a damaged boat (by your descriptions). That should give you more bargaining power than simply an owner`s manual that has a torn page. Have you considered looking on the web for the same boat from another dealer close to you.
Here`s another thought, a dealer would rather give you product than take a hit on the final selling price. If you are buying a TI you will want a trailer. So if he has a trailer in stock get him to sell to you at his cost (ask for the factory invoice).
Compare the suggested retail to what he will give you the trailer for and do the math.
Either way, you gain. It`s simply a matter of which deal is better for you.

Hoping you can get the best deal possible...if not walk away.

The Hobies aren`t going away.
Consider this: If it is freezing cold and the wind is blowing at 30 knots with 2 feet of snow on the ground 2 weeks before Xmas, would you really be interested in buying a Hobie TI.

Yet that is exactly when you want to walk in with cash (remember credit card companies charge 2 to 3 % to the dealer) and start dealing to get that boat for possibly 20-30% below retail (on the remaining 2011 stock).

Merry Christmas, m8
Trinomite

Last edited by Trinomite on Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

T-mite is right on. Our local Portland, OR Hobie dealer discounts last year models (NOT floor or demo but NEW in the box) by 10%. I would ask for at least 15-20% discount and if they won't take that or order you a new one, I'd find another dealer.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You guys make good points and now I'm probably mad enough at the dealer that I will pay the $250 shipping for a new one. We are not in a sailing area, so he doesn't want more than one in the store at a time. Especially a 2011 when newer ones are out. Can I actually order a 2012 now? For the same price? If so, he's an idiot if he doesn't do backflips for me to buy his old one. I will also be wanting close to $1000 in accessories that I would be buying through him, but I suppose I can get all that from the internet. I already have a trailer that I am going to modify to accept the cradles ($220 from the dealer).

If I buy a new one from the dealer, do I expect it to be fully assembled for loading onto my trailer? I would think so, if I bought one with a trailer, it would be.

Also, this is a camping store. This is probably the biggest ticket item in the entire store. They have lots of other kayaks, but this has got to be the most expensive one. I wonder if they are not going to want to order me a new one and have to keep their old worn out one. As I said, the nearest other store is going to be somewhere in Texas, 6-8 hours away.

Last edited by Madwand on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you're up for a bit of a drive (3 to 4 hrs), my dealer had 2 or 3 in stock last time I checked. Might be worth your time. If you do, tell them Pat sent you. :)

http://www.fairhopeboat.com/

-Pat