Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My boat came from Hobie with no documentation (http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=38359&start=0), so when I opened my sail just now to load it onto the mast, I found there are no battens or downhaul line. Is it supposed to come with these items?

EDIT: Just looked at the manual for the 2010 online and it lists:

Sail Components and Small Parts
11. Bag of Small Parts
a. Allen Wrench
b. Two Nylon Screws and Nuts
c. Small Line for Downhaul

So there should have been a bag with these parts? Or is that 2010 only? If so, what are the wrench and screws for? It doesn't say.

Hobie closed early Friday, so I wasn't able to ask them these questions.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The boat should have come with everything you needed. When I got mine the battens shipped inside the hull. I bet they were inside the one you shipped back because it was damaged.
The nylon screws are replacements for the ones that hold the diagonal aka brace. They wear out eventually (or break if you hit something) so they include replacements.
I believe the allen wrench is used for adjustments on the mirage drive.

While I'm certain Hobie will make it right, I can't imagine how frustrating must be to not be able to take your new toy out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You're not kidding. I was so hoping to sail it somewhere this weekend. The only consolation is that there is no wind over 4-6 mph anywhere near me all weekend. I would have had to drive to Biloxi to get some coastal wind.

My problem right now is I have no idea how much stuff I am really missing...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I looked at the gear I got with my boat, and I believe that if you combine the list on the website:
http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaks/mirage/tandem-island/
with the list in the manual:
http://2010.archive.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/Tandem_Island_Manual.pdf
you'll be able to see everything you should have.

If I were in your shoes I would find a suitable piece of rope to use for the downhaul (mine is the exact same as the furling line) and go sailing without the battens. The sail won't be as efficient, especially in light winds, but you can still have some fun.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I probly would have done that, but the boat did not come with any crossbars for the akas. So all I have right now that works is the kayak.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Madwand,
Guess where most of your missing stuff is? In the bag which also has the documentation! :roll:
The hull is shipped in plastic wrap and the Island extras normally ship in a separate cardboard box.
I'd be having strong words with my dealer! :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wow, you have sure had problems getting this launched! Really sorry to hear this. Where are the akas? Sheesh!

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's not the aka that are missing, it's the cross members the aka fit into. They were not mounted on the boat. It's not my dealers fault. This boat came direct from hobie. Cause the last one they sent was all banged up. So hobie sent me a stripped out boat as a warranty replacement. My dealer is probably regretting he ever made this sale by now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When a defective or damaged boat is replaced, Hobie will send you a new hull, less, what I will call the hardware. You are expected to use your same drive unit, seat, paddle, tackle box, akas, amas, sail, etc. Either you or your dealer will have to cannabalize the old hull. Both the crossbars and lines have to be pulled from the bad hull and remounted to the new unit. We also usually have to adjust the V-Frame turnbuckles to adjust the mast collar's locking position.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

They were not supposed to send a new bare hull out, it was not a warranty replacement. It was replaced as "warranty" by mistake, in the rush to get me a replacement boat sent out. The entire boat package was supposed to have been re-sent just like the original. I should have just refused delivery a second time, but I didn't realize half the boat was missing when I accepted it, since I didn't know what it was supposed to come with. When I received it off the truck, I was just inspecting for physical damage. It didn't help that the shipping company used an 18 wheeler to deliver to a residential neighborhood, so I wound up doing the inspection in a grocery store parking lot instead of in my carport.

Hobie got me the parts I needed within the week.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

haha and when you buy and collect from your local dealer you can load up and go straight to the water. Hassel free. why do people try to save a buck then complain about the problems they make for themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wasn't trying to save a buck. My local dealer is uncooperative, so I couldn't buy locally. The remote dealer charges the same price, as all Hobie dealers are required to do before Labor Day. If you didn't have a dealer nearby, you would have had to do the same thing. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mikepaddle wrote:
When a defective or damaged boat is replaced, Hobie will send you a new hull, less, what I will call the hardware. You are expected to use your same drive unit, seat, paddle, tackle box, akas, amas, sail, etc. Either you or your dealer will have to cannabalize the old hull. Both the crossbars and lines have to be pulled from the bad hull and remounted to the new unit. We also usually have to adjust the V-Frame turnbuckles to adjust the mast collar's locking position.

.....I will replace all my hardware, and all the the wrappings, until I get further instructions from you. If your hypnotic suggestions don't come across over the ether waves soon, I promise to self destruct and take all the weird posts with me.

(Just kidding, Dude, you know as well as me this is a silly convo as a dealer can and will handle all of these issues)

Until further notice....please look into my eyes.....as you are getting sleepy...
"GO to you DEALER, GO to you DEALER, GO to you DEALER, GO to you DEALER, GO to you DEALER, GO to you DEALER,........

Cheers Fred

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What is that supposed to mean? Who are you telling to go to their dealer? How does this contribute to the thread? :Why are you always horning in on my threads with your weird ass sarcastic replies? Why are you so hateful on this forum? I really wish you would stop this childish behavior on my posts. What is the matter with you?

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Madwand
You could take the entire mess to New Orleans and get this thing fixed once and for all.
I regret the problems you have had, but if Baton Rouge doesn't keep you happy, then take it to another dealer that can make you satisfied with your purchase. (or just sell it)
A lot of the stuff you mentioned has gotten you a ton of concerned owners to answer you as a response. In truth, you haven't done much about it other than beitch.
After rereading the posts, I truly get the impression, you are not the DIY guy, but want to complain about the lack of response from a deal you made 2800 miles away from you. What do you expect, m8.
I wish you the best, even though your methods leave a lot to be desired for sincere help from anyone.
(btw: I have a hard time understanding, your term of `horning into a post`these posts are not personal property, they are meant to share information for the well being of all who subscribe here. God knows after rereading this dreary post, I`ve passed you a ton of info at the expense of my valuable time, your welcome..)

Fred