Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm all completely rigged right again and my Mirage Drive is fully operational.
I had to spend about $50. which included a new fin for the drive and the "S" hook and roller thingy that the mainsheet passes through. I had rigged the mainsheet without the proper hardware and was able to sail but there was friction where there was supposed to be the rope rolling on a roller so I knew that I had "lost" some hardware.
I will consider the first two times out in this boat as TRIAL runs and acknowledge I made some stupid mistakes.
Now I know that there is nothing that secures the mainsheet hardware when I'm ready to cartop after sailing if I don't leave a knot tied to the end of the mainsheet so these things can't slip off and be lost. Better still they can be removed and placed in glovebox of my car.
A simple thing but hard to operate without them.
And I will be careful and selective about when I use the Mirage Drive so as not to have it get stuck with part of the mainshhet jammed into the slot.

There are a few things that I have to be keenly aware of and by screwing up once I will have these procedures down to prevent future problems.
The mast that holds the fins got bent but they told me at the dealer that it wasn't bent so bad it coulkdn't be bent back into proper allignment instead of replaced.

I can hardly wait for a nice wind so I can experience a trouble free day with everything working 100%.

I'm getting my wetsuit and boots ready and a splash proof jacket for the coming days when the water gets chilly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm very glad it worked out for you.

Nice to see it didn't cost you an arm and 2 fins either.

Have fun, and remember please, that I doubt anyone that ever took out their boat without at least some sort of foul up.

I recall getting yelled at by people on shore as I was trying to launch into a heavy surf with my Mirage drive (loose on the aft deck) getting tangled up in my mainsheet as I was wondering where all the friction was coming from. All it took was a look over my shoulder to turn a solid pink from a slight case of embarrassment. :oops:

That was the fifth time out....oh well, sheit happens. :lol:

Good Winds and better times, friend
Fred