Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

For a copule of years I have been really interested in getting a Tandem Adventure Island. I'm still interested, but I'm a bit concerned about spending close to 6000 dollars on a boat that is made out of PVC (or is it ABS) plastic. I currently own an Ocean Kayak and I must admit it is durable But the bottom is all scratched up. This doesn't affect its performance. But I'm just wondering what the Expect lifespan of a TI would be?

Should this boat realistically hold up for 20 years? is this a 10 year life span?

Any thoughts on build quality and durability?

Thanks!

(by the way my subject line, was supposed to get a laugh)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:16 am 
Site Admin

The hulls are molded of Polyethylene. Similar to your Ocean kayak.

Depends on care and wear. We have been building roto molded sailboats and kayaks for close to 20 years. They seem to last and last.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My Ocean Kayak that sits up under my house is about 15 years old, and is fine. My other one that has spent its life in the sun is crackly crunchy and has large holes in it. They are the same age. The one that had a hard life was done at ten years.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Latrobe, PA, USA *** Show YOUR Location - Edit Profile ! ***
mmiller wrote:
...We have been building roto molded sailboats and kayaks for close to 20 years. They seem to last and last.
I'm wondering why it is that there are so few used Hobie kayaks for sale? My searches have turned up maybe 2-3 in the same time literally hundreds of fiberglass boats (14s, 16s, and larger).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

wildlatin wrote:
I'm wondering why it is that there are so few used Hobie kayaks for sale? My searches have turned up maybe 2-3 in the same time literally hundreds of fiberglass boats (14s, 16s, and larger).

Most used Hobie kayaks sell quick. The few you're finding are probably overpriced or sold and the seller hasn't removed the ad. I've posted 3 for sale online within the last 2 months and they've sold in a matter of hours. And I didn't sell them cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yep, finding a used Hobie kayak is not easy, folks tend to hang on to them and when a used one does come on the market it sells pretty fast for a high price. I think the quality speaks for itself.

I've only had my Tandem Island 3 1/2 months and I'm totally sold on it in every way. Hobie is a great company and they stand behind their products. This forum is filled with testimonies confirming that.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

Post subject: Selling an AI
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I put my extra AI on Craigslist in the morning. By the afternoon, I had a buyer stop by and wrote out a check for what I was asking. I had set a pretty high price expecting to have to lower it until the unit sold. New units are not discounted very much by dealers even at boat shows. Hobie has a great reputation and is known for keeping honest with their warranties. If you have taken care of it, Hobie's have a very good resale value.
I 'baby' my Hobies...wash them often, give them a quick wipe down using the Hobie 'UV' hull-protector liquid, and keep them in covered storage. They still look brand new except for bottom scratches.
Think of your Hobie as a new car...don't wash it, don't wax it, and leave it outside for ten years...how much do you think a buyer would pay for it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The absence of used Hobie AIs is a good sign that the TI should hold its value. Spend the money on a cover and some UV spray just to be sure and keep your boat looking good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mine is a 2007 model (first year ?) that I bought used two summers ago (2010).

... previous owner used it ALOT and I've done my fair share the last two seasons - sure its got some usage scars on the bottom but its still going strong !!

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV