Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wave VS Tandem Island
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

For a few years I have been very interested in purchasing a Tandem Island. I have been following many of the discussions on this forum and am looking forward to (probably) purchasing a TI in the spring.

This morning while watching a few TI videos on YouTube, I happen to catch a video showing the Hobie Wave or the next model up and it raised a bunch of questions:

What are the essential differences between a more traditional Hobie Cat and the TI in terms of intended use? I mean, I can clearly see that they are different. But I'm wondering after sailing a TI does it inevitably lead to wanting a more traditional And possibly bigger Hobie Cat? Or are the way they are used so different that its like apples VS oranges?

Any advice on which to purchase would be great. The TI is super exciting to me, but I don't want to buy it only to find out that most people then move "up" to a 18 foot Hobie Cat. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I own an AI and know about a dozen other AI/TI owners here in Florida. I have never heard any of them mention moving to any other Hobie sailboat, other than, perhaps from an AI to a TI. I know I wouldn't.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Augaug started on an AI, got hooked on sailing and eventually switched to a Hobie Bravo. He's the only case on the forum that I'm aware of, of someone completely switching. Likewise, I got hooked on sailing in my AI and started sailing Maricats (similar to a Hobie Wave). A Cat adds an extra dimension to sailing when the conditions are right, but they are not as versatile as an AI or TI. When wind and water conditions allow, it's hard to beat the buzz of flying a hull, but in very light or very heavy winds, or rough water, the Cat is just not as practical. The AI/TI's are still a lot of fun when you wind them up and they can handle almost any conditions. You can take them on a long journey, confident that they will get you home (barring catastrophic gear failure, which is rare). Not to mention, in hull-only mode, you get an excellent kayak for navigating inland waterways which are not suitable for sailing.
The ideal is to have both types of boat, but if I could only sail one, it would definitely be my AI.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with Chris. While the AI for me fulfils the need for excitement in the right conditions as do most multi-hulls, it is also just so versatile for fishing, swimming, sailing and kayaking in most weather conditions. The AI is quick and easy to rig and de-rig, and easily transports on top of a car and stores on racks, vertically, horizontally or almost anywhere. The sail furls easily and quickly to de-power the rig if the wind gets up and the Mirage Drive ensures you always can get home if it drops off completely. All things to most people. Look to see how few are available on the second hand market and the good re-sale price they bring and you get a good idea just how happy the AI/TI owners really are....Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Hobie cats are great fun. But for me, when I reached a certain age, my back no longer tolerated sitting on tramps and moving up to the windward side everytime I tacked. They truly are a blast. But now I can enjoy sitting in an AI, in a seat facing forward, for hours on end with no discomfort. It's odd but every kayak I've used aggrevated my back but the AI doesn't. The seat has lumbar support and the adjustable side straps alow you do recline at any angle. But before you purchase try out both styles.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
I agree with Chris. While the AI for me fulfils the need for excitement in the right conditions as do most multi-hulls, it is also just so versatile for fishing, swimming, sailing and kayaking in most weather conditions. The AI is quick and easy to rig and de-rig, and easily transports on top of a car and stores on racks, vertically, horizontally or almost anywhere. The sail furls easily and quickly to de-power the rig if the wind gets up and the Mirage Drive ensures you always can get home if it drops off completely. All things to most people. Look to see how few are available on the second hand market and the good re-sale price they bring and you get a good idea just how happy the AI/TI owners really are....Pirate :wink:

Here here!
There are also additional physical fitness benefits from pedalling, rowing and lifting. So it can double as an aerobic exercise machine :D

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

one can carry a pocket knife with a simple blade ... or choose to carry a swiss army knife.

In all honesty, I've had a Swiss by my side at all times since I was about 7 years old. The AI is now my Swiss Sailer

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got my TI because it was so versatile and easy to sail. I have 3 small kids and they sit on the tramps quite happily. The thing I enjoy most is that if the wind isn't co-operating (not enough or too much) we can just pedal around the local creek and rivers like we did this weekend and spot birds and fish. Then when the wind is nice and the weather is warm we can take it into the bay and get splashed and have a ball. If I had something dedicated to sailing I don't think I would use it as much.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Augaug started on an AI, got hooked on sailing and eventually switched to a Hobie Bravo.

Yup, I switched... but it's not something that I would expect most AI owners to do (or TI owners). I switched because my wife had a Revolution, and I had an AI, and we would often kayak together, but whenever my wife didn't come with me, I'd ALWAYS be sailing, never kayaking. So we talked about getting a sailboat and the new Oasis. We really liked the tandem Oasis as a kayak that we could go out in together, and I wanted to try a different kind of sailboat.

After having switched, it was definitely the right move for me. But there's no question that the AI is the better all around boat. The best way that I can describe it, is that the AI is like driving a luxury Mercedes-Benz around, while the Bravo is more like a race car. The race car is faster, but you're sacrificing a lot of things for that speed.

The Bravo is much more of a workout in stronger winds, for me that's fun. For others it's likely too tiring.

I like that the Bravo can tip, the AI, it's not going to tip on you. I enjoy the skill of finding that sweet spot on my Bravo, while the AI was a better boat for seeing the scenery, and experiencing what's around you.

The AI was great in ALL wind, I was out with the kite boarders in the strong winds, and out on the smooth as glass lakes when there was no wind. A versatile boat is a boat that gets used. I recently took my Bravo to the cottage, and was only able to sail in 1 day out of 4. The AI would have been on the water every day. Living near Lake Ontario, when I'm at home, there is almost always enough wind for the Bravo here, but if you live in a smaller lake, the AI will get used more often.

At the end of the day, I love my Bravo just a bit more than my AI. But generally speaking, the AI, is the boat to get for a lot of reasons. Especially if it's going to be your only boat.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I think at heart, I'm a cat sailor. We hope to move up to the Getaway one day, but I'll always remember the trip that I did to Algonquin Park on my AI. That's the only boat in the world that could have done that trip. Feel free to search the forums for my post about that trip.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's a very informative rundown fellas. I went into a kayak shop not long back where the sales bloke gave me a sales pitch on why I should buy this $2,000 sea kayak he had. When I told him I was just looking, and that I had a Hobie AI, he told me that the Hobie was regarded as a slug as far as sea kayaking goes.

I composed myself and showed real restraint for about 10 seconds before letting him have it with both barrels.

All different types of water craft have their strengths and weaknesses. Although the AI/TI may not be the lightest, cheapest, fastest etc, does any other water craft tick as many boxes ?

Looks like the Bravo ticks your box augaug, and how did I miss that Algonquin Park trip report? How good was that. Thanks for posting.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check out snj's comparison of an AI in Adventure mode with sea kayaks on a crossing of Bass Strait: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Recently I spent several days in Narooma with my AI kayak only rig. I came across some keen sea kayakers and one very experienced veteran in particular who I paced myself against over a distance of about 5 ks.
It began when i was dawdling along at maybe 3 knots checking out the local estuary and playing in the current that rips in and out, when a sea-kayak paddled past me like I was stopped. Initially I was impressed then decided to try keep up as I had a gps and was interested in his speed. He was impressive with his strokes and the way he handled the paddle. He was by then 100 meters or more ahead and I went as fast as I could to keep up but that was all I was able to do. We had to go round a sand bar and oyster beds but I decided to cut the corner to bridge the gap only to find myself up on the sand. Quickly pushed myself off but was now 200 meters behind. He knew I was after him which spurred him on even faster.
I decided to just tough it out and peddled at about 4 to 5 knots for the next 3 ks and noticed he was beginning to slow a bit so I upped my pace and was on his stern when he finished his stint back to the boat ramp which surprised him when he looked around thinking I was well back.
We talked along-side each other in the kayaks for a few minutes and it was obvious he was a seasoned veteran who still wins local races. He was very impressed with the AI's speed given his was a 20 foot waterline against my 16 foot length. I was more than happy with the performance of 'Pirates Lot' that day...Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Love the TI.

Cannot beat a 10 minute setup and take down, super versatile, and really fun when you doing 8+ knots. The TI is a really great little craft.