Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We almost had to call coast guard that day, we got caught in a storm two miles from the beach in Corpus Christi, the winds started around twenty knots, then rain with cold winds, and then winds kicked up to forty knots that’s when we had to furl in the sails, it was very nasty and scary, our life was in immediate danger at that time and we had to make a emergency beach landing two miles off course from where we launched, I did get a weather advisory on the VHF by the Coast Guard, but during that time the fishing action was great, then we saw the storm about seven to ten miles away thinking we would make it back before it hit us, but we were wrong, the storm came in very fast and angry, lucky for us we made it back ok on the beach, and talk about riding a five foot wave in on a Hobie Adventure Island.

We encountered about ten Cobia (ling) throughout the whole trip. We lost three very big ones, and seen a nice school of Cobia, we filled the cooler up the next day with two more king fish, tons of spade fish, and tons of trigger fish, we did land about twenty to twenty-five red snapper, but most of them where under fifteen inches and they were all released back in the wilds. This was by far the best trip I had all summer, the danger level was very high the first day, but it was pure FUN!!! The video will show us cooking the spade, trigger, snapper, and cobia. The fishing action was great. We got some crazy storm on the first day. Our favorate way we cooked fish, was fillet slabs on the grill with some Mexican green sauce on top that was very good and tasty.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js73wtoNkU0[/youtube]

Last edited by Living Waters on Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another excellent Video - Thanks again for sharing.

... I can almost taste the fish !! NOTHING beats munching on something freshly caught

Could you possibly provide some more info on the Dual-AI rig ? besides the front rope, what else was used for attachment ? How did it perform ?

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

wow, great vid!

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

PassWind wrote:
Another excellent Video - Thanks again for sharing.

... I can almost taste the fish !! NOTHING beats munching on something freshly caught

Could you possibly provide some more info on the Dual-AI rig ? besides the front rope, what else was used for attachment ? How did it perform ?

The reason why we attached two Adventure Islands together is because, we rented the yellow one for one of our friends, but the rental place forgot to put the right akas in the bag, the rental AI was a 2011 model and the aka’s in the bag where the “pins” type older model. We had 2 Ai’s that are the 2011 model, so I came up with an idea to attach them so we could enjoy the rest of fishing trip. It actually worked out really great, I used a kayak strap to attach the middle handles together, and use some rope line to attach the front handles and back handles together. We did use both sails and it seems to work out really well, too well actually when the winds racked up past 20 knots we had to furl them back in, and peddling with two turbo drives worked out well too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had to re-do the video, because it was blocked for using copyright music, it is fixed now and I am using royaltyfree music. It is up and running at this time check it out!!