Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thank you Hobie!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It's been nearly 3 months since we bought our TI. This is my first venture into sailing for fun instead of racing & I'm loving it. I have been taking it very easy getting used to the TI & letting my two eldest children (11 & 6) get used to sailing.

Today with a warm (air temp 32 Deg Celsius) & pleasant 15, gusting 20 kt SW breeze blowing, we pushed off from our favourite launching site at the Port Adelaide Sailing Club. This time we didn't reef the sail as my children had now worked out that if they hike from the trampoline, Dad will pull more sail on & the TI takes off. I don't know who had the bigger grin, my two very wet crew or myself.

After two hours of blasting up the river & then a sleigh ride home, we beached at the sailing club very wet, but very happy. My kids didn't want to pack up, but as it was already 7pm (it's currently daylight saving in Aus, so the sun isn't setting until 8:30pm), I convinced them that we could always come back next weekend.

The TI is an absolutely fantastic craft. A joy to sail, a joy to rig & de-rig. We still have a lot to learn about the TI & so we are looking forward to this summer. The only mod that I'm planning is a couple of Haka Bench Seats to make the ride a little drier for the winter months.

Thank you Hobie for producing such a wonderful craft! (By the way, my children have christened the boat 'Wet n Wild')

2011 Hobie TI

Post subject: Re: Thank you Hobie!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Nice!! Thanks for the Kudos!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello nicnrob
I am a TI owner from Henley Beach and have sailed a number of times on the Port River. Did you have any dolphin action?
I agree about the boat - I cartop, can load and offload solo, and have had 3 adults out on a mild day. Amazing for fun, fishing, exploring
Might see you on the water one day.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi abonnin,

Yes we have played with dolphins near the power station. I have been trolling some lines, but as yet to catch anything. I don't envy you car topping the TI as it's not light. I am fortunate to have purchased the Hobie trailer when I got my TI. It certainly makes moving the boat around very easy & now that I have worked out the trick for installing the scupper cart in the forward scuppers, moving a fully rigged TI in and out of the water is fairly easy.

Shane from Binks Marine said that he may organise a AI/TI owners day this summer. I'm thinking that we should organise an informal sail. I'm keen to veture offshore, but not alone. I wonder how many other AI/TI owners are in Adelaide?

2011 Hobie TI