Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have to endorse Dave's concerns about the situation when he lost his rudder pin. Middle Head, in Sydney Harbour, is a rocky cliff, facing straight into the mouth of the Harbour, which is bounded by a North Head and a South Head. The ocean swell becomes concentrated as it passes through these two headlands and it can be quite intimidating on a heavy day. It's about the last place I'd want to lose steering myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

davew wrote:
I note your ostrich approach to the pin issue and no response re possibility of buying a new hull and rudder system only.

Understand... We read these forums... usually, but don't always get the chance. I don't get a chance to read every post. Especially on long threads, so don't expect that I know about everything you post. These are user based forums and not monitored by Hobie 100%, but we do try.

Fyi... We are making some in-house changes in the near future, Jacques Bernier (jbernier) - Technical Support and Brendan Castile (bcastile) - Warranty Manager will be taking the lead on support issues. They will be the primary persons monitoring and moderating the forums as I back away from warranty and support to concentrate on our parts and accessories sales division.

Since the pins are designed to fail to protect the hull... failures should be expected. As noted... I had not been hearing of grey pin failures. If there are unusual failures, report them to your dealer via warranty. We would like to see samples of any failed pins.

I must have missed the post where you asked if a hull can be purchased. As noted in other threads in these forums, replacement hulls are available to purchase if you desire that approach. You would have to work with your local dealer and they with your distributor (I assume is Australasia?).

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

davew wrote:
Firstly I have to thank Augaug for the laugh about casually dipping your hand in the water to steer an AI in 20 knot winds and 5' chop with a 3 knot current while rapidly drifting toward a 100' shear cliff with 6' waves crashing against them, good one.

Clearly I've got skills that you can't match. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Augaug - Cheers mate Aussies like Canadians.
Matt - thanks for the response Hobie are OK.
The rudder pin issue has had lots of coverage over the years and I think it helps to share details of breaks, not to rubbish Hobie but to improve knowlege of the boats and try to make them better. I'm going shim up the rudder slack and try and tip toe away from confused sea situations.

Luv yus all

This is Middle Head on a nice day!

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=sydne ... 29,r:9,s:0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I live in Singapore and hobies are just starting to catch on. I got myself a Hobie sport last year (it's a 2010/2011 model I believe).

On last trip my rudder failed. It became completely detached and only the spectra was preventing the rudder from falling out.

The rudder pin looks bent. My question is whether I need a whole new rudder or just a rudder pin.

Is there any where I can view a video showing how to replace a rudder pin?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76553378@N ... hotostream

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cudas wrote:
I live in Singapore and hobies are just starting to catch on. I got myself a Hobie sport last year (it's a 2010/2011 model I believe).

On last trip my rudder failed. It became completely detached and only the spectra was preventing the rudder from falling out.

The rudder pin looks bent. My question is whether I need a whole new rudder or just a rudder pin.

Is there any where I can view a video showing how to replace a rudder pin?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76553378@N ... hotostream

You just need a new rudder pin, nothing seems wrong beyond the pin having pulled out - it isn't even broken, it just pushed up and let go from the looks of it. You should have a spare rudder pin located in the underside of you rear hatch. Have your dealer get you a replacement if you don't have a spare. (they are easy to replace - just line of the rudder housing over the hole, and push the pin down through - not difficult at all)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
I have to endorse Dave's concerns about the situation when he lost his rudder pin. Middle Head, in Sydney Harbour, is a rocky cliff, facing straight into the mouth of the Harbour, which is bounded by a North Head and a South Head. The ocean swell becomes concentrated as it passes through these two headlands and it can be quite intimidating on a heavy day. It's about the last place I'd want to lose steering myself.

Perhaps this video might clarify the kind of seas sometimes prevailing at that point... (video from the bridge of a ferry)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2euzREf ... re=related

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
chrisj wrote:

Perhaps this video might clarify the kind of seas sometimes prevailing at that point... (video from the bridge of a ferry)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2euzREf ... re=related

I noticed there were no AI's or TI's in that video. And that's the point. Going out in conditions where it would be unsafe to do so, would be operator error. You CAN control the boat in VERY rough conditions, even without a rudder. But you don't want to get stranded in tough situations, so it's up to the operator to understand what could go wrong, and what options are available to you if those things do go wrong. If you haven't got a solution, then you shouldn't be out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Jbernier!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cudas wrote:
Thanks Jbernier!!!

No Worries - Glad to help (as all people on these forums are) ...great group of users here to answer most questions.