Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Last weekend I sailed my Adventure Island with the steering knob turned out 90 degrees. Push forward to turn starboard and pull back to turn to port. What a difference it made for me. It's very natural and you don't feel like your fighting to keep the boat on course. In fact it, after a few minutes, I just forget that I was steering the boat, it felt so natural and took so much less effort. Here is the video of the mods made. The tiller handle is not necessary to enjoy this change. By the way, the tiller handle was painted black. The sailing footage was before turning the handle 90 degrees.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Y1vKMVsd0[/youtube]

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is my theory based on leverage angles. If you are hiking leave the handle in the factory position. Your eyebolt add still works to accept the tiller extension, but your leverage against the lever arm of the handle is in a better position. If you are out and back on a haka the rudder may be hard to steer with the handle turned 90. If you are sitting in the seat definitely switch the handle 90 degrees. The factory position is quite awkward.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agreed ppicker. With Hakas leave it alone. When sitting in the cockpit and resting the back of the tiller arm extention on the Aka brace, the tiller arm was acting as an arm rest and within minutes I just forgot that I was steering. You get this "one with the boat" feeling of effortless steering. With just a slight advancing or pulling back of the forearm to steer, you don't even realize your doing it after a while. For those who only ride in the cockpit, I would by the Hobie knob and turn the hanle 90 degrees. You will be shocked at the difference.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis