Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sometime in the past 10 days, my center hatch cover lost one hinge pin--I assume that is what holds it together. Does anyone know the size of that pin? I assume I can go to West Marine and get one.

Of course, there is more to the story than just losing a pin--I will report on that later. Stay tuned.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They can be purchased through McMastercarr. This is the first time I have heard of this so not sure it is worth stocking as an accessory item. Here is the part info:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#roll-pins/=fyma2f

Slotted Spring Pins

Use these versatile pins for fastening, pivoting, and holding. Ends are beveled or rounded to aid insertion. Actual diameter is slightly larger than the diameter shown, allowing pins to fit tightly when installed. Wall thickness is approx. 20% of the diameter. For the best fit, your hole should be equal to or slightly larger than the diameter shown. Breaking strength is measured as double shear, which is the force required to break a pin into three pieces. Meet ASME B18.8.2.
18-8 Stainless Steel—The most corrosion resistant. May be mildly magnetic. Not rated for hardness.
For technical drawings and 3-D models, click on a part number.
18-8 Stainless Steel
Lg. Breaking
Strength, lbs. Pkg.
Qty. Pkg.
1/8" Dia.
1 1/4"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, Jacques.

McMaster-Carr says they are shipping a pin today--actually, they are shipping 100 pins. Since I only need one and will keep 4 spares, I have 95 extra.

Anyone who needs an AI/TI hatch pin, please contact me, and I will send one free.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

At least they're cheap!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, by today's standards they are incredibly cheap. I'm glad I didn't have to buy a package of 2 from West Marine.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Got my pins and installed one in the hatch cover hinge.

The pin fits VERY tight. I'm not surprised that Jacques said they had never heard of someone losing a pin. I don't think it happened that way. It would take many opening/closings for a pin to work out, even if it had that tendency. I would have noticed it. No, I think that hatch hinge never had a pin in it. I bought the boat used last May, and then left town and did not get a chance to use the boat until our recent 8-day camping trip. I think the hinge functioned normally until finally coming apart when I was cleaning the boat. It may have partially come apart during our trip, but I usually seat the hatch cover firmly on closing (although, as I hinted above there is more to this story.) Seating the hatch cover would make the hinge look normal.

In any case, if you are missing a hinge pin, I will send one to you. Then, you need to remove the hatch cover from the hull, because it is very difficult to drive the TIGHT-FITTING pin into the hinge opening with the cover in place. Once you have the cover off the hull, put the cover and pin into the freezer. The hinge pin opening will enlarge as the plastic shrinks, and the pin will shrink to a smaller diameter as it cools. Once they are cold, take them out, quickly insert the pin in the hinge, and drive it home w/ a small hammer. Easy.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon