Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

ericos_bob wrote:
Hey Geordie. Good to hear there is someone else with a TI in these waters. Crocs 150km offshore? That's a long ways though I have heard stories from charter operators spotting crocs a long ways out to sea. When do you plan to do a trip up to broome? I finish up my work in adelaide this year so will probably head off after new years some time. Might just leave the camper at home, drop the TI in at wirrina boat ramp and sail/peddle to broome. Would save a lot on fuel costs and I could hang a couple lures out the back and troll the whole way.

I do a bit of work up there (but mostly stuck in the office down in Perth) so not sure when I will get up there with the yak.

Wirrena marina sounds familliar, I did some diving out of there years ago to do an environmental assessment survey the planned sites to sink the dive wreck. That will be a long trip round to Broome, would make a great adventure docco, "The Really Long Way Round". Drop off in Perth for supplies on the way.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi

Im from up north and thinking of getting a single seat Adventure island. My biggest negative to it is crocodiles. I plan to do multi day camping and fishing trips in it eventually.

Around Darwin, there is less of a risk of croc attack but the more remote you go, the more curious the crocs are. I cir cum navigated the tiwi islands in a powered inflatable dingy last year and found the crocs
didnt come near me until i stopped for the night and often found them lurking around the boat which we beached in the night time.

Im interested if anyone has actually taken a sail kayak out in the northern waters yet and if they had any dramas or observations.

To mitigate any croc attack, im just thinking of keeping up a decent speed in high risk areas and staying away from the rivers. I will also look at
carrying a pistol in the front compartment of my life vest as a line of last defence (not that it will matter as crocs get you when you least expect it but having a bit of cold steel might be a good psychological boost ??)

Buganah