Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wife likes to help with furling and the the thin factory rope was to hard on her hands so I repplaced it with larger dia rope also longer so that I can furll from aft, now I realize that I could have used a rope of the same lenght and tie to main rope. Oh well live and learn.

Gil

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

i know its not always the easiest to pull in the furling line but i got tired of waiting and waiting for my wife to pull it in and to save us from having future arguments of why i was 'yelling' at her and 'rushing' her to pull it in occasionally when gusts came along i found it just easier to do it myself... plus i think its easier to pull the mast line since its much thicker anyhowzer.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

rusty_sojah wrote:
i know its not always the easiest to pull in the furling line but i got tired of waiting and waiting for my wife to pull it in and to save us from having future arguments of why i was 'yelling' at her and 'rushing' her to pull it in occasionally when gusts came along i found it just easier to do it myself... plus i think its easier to pull the mast line since its much thicker anyhowzer.

I had the exact same problem and thought about your solution but first desired to change the blocks to larger ones and this did the trick, it furls like butter in and out, in low wind I grabb one of the 3 ropes over my shoulder and help her a little this works very well and she stays involved in the sailing process.

Gil

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

that is a great idea. i have tried to get my wife more involved. she basically likes being out there on the water and enjoys getting a little exercise in via pedaling, however she has definitely voiced that this is the extent of her wanting to get involved... apparently pulling ropes at very specific times is 'a lot' of work :D

and i enjoy having my wife out there with me so i want to make it as painless for her as possible.

i tried to run a man overboard drill with her the other day and then quickly realized that if i ever fell in that i shouldn't expect to get picked up with any sort of immediacy. :D hmmmmm... gotta love it huh¿

maybe i'll run a woman overboard drill next time. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
I think everyone, who has some experience, ties their main sheet & furling lines together.

LMAO! Yes, I have no experience as a sailor!! I'm a Marine! damnit!! :evil: I'll be on the lake tomorrow and will take some video of how my my lines are tied together. I would appreciate what to do to sail more efficiently. I also received a hobie spray top today if you want a closer look.