Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd like to feel more secure when trying to get out past the waves near the shore, which is the main reason I got the AI conversion kit (so far just the outriggers and I am using the small sail that drops into most Hobies. I sheared the bolts off (that are designed to do that) on the aka supports today. I think I have a solution that will keep the akas in position (perpendicular to each other so the amas stay out there: a haka. I've made one, but did not have it installed at the time. Here's a picture. I basically copied the design someone in Hawaii made. I saw it posted on this forum. I thought the design was just perfect. I made it out of teak. Cost about $300, but a thing of beauty. The reason I made it was so my daughter can go with me in this local inlet (not big waves at all, unlike the beach here in Jacksonville, Florida) where there are dolphins pretty much every day. It is a place for her to lie down. (Don't worry - she's not a little kid and wears a PFD.)

I think that if I use an attachment method stronger than bungee cords, having a pair of hakas on there will keep the akas parallel so they don't fold in. Let's assume that works. Then the stress would be placed on the kayak where they attach. Will I need to beef these up as well? If so, how?

My goal is to be able to make it out past the breaking waves at the beach. I'd say they were 2 to 3 feet. If you are even a little bit crooked, the first wave that hits the bow will make you go sideways a bit, then the next wave is trouble. The bolt on one side sheared off that way and that side folded in. I turned towards shore and one hit from behind. The kayak almost went over. That wasn't fun.