Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm a new TI owner getting ready to hit the water. I've sailed one of these from the front seat previously but I'm not sure how to rig the sail for sailing it from the rear seat. Are there any diagrams showing how to rig it this way?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

its the same as sailing from the front seat with the exception of maybe adding an extension to the furling line.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sail from the front seat, but I gather that if you undo the front mainsheet line and pull on the rear seat line until the knot at the tail of the front one is only an inch or two from its claet, you will have enough mainsheet line at the rear to enable you to tie it to the tail of the reefing line (I use a simple figure eight knot which locks in behind the simple knot at the end of the mainsheet).

You should then be able to operate both mainsheet and furling line from the rear cockpit. The only slightly awkward task left is to raise or lower the centreboard. I have not seen any clever tricks for doing that from the rear seat...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Personally I hate sailing solo from the rear seat, as Tony pointed out its hard to reach the centerboard, the sail control line tries to take your head off, and you are trapped in the back seat, as you can't hike out on the tramps to balance the boat. It just seems to me the boat was designed to be sailed solo from the front seat, but those are just my preferences, the TI can be easily sailed from either seat which is a nice design feature. Often when I'm out with passengers I let them do the bulk of the sailing, they seem to have more fun driving the boat and learning to read the sails.
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

Handling is worse when in the front seat (if solo). Steering will be tougher and the ride is wetter. As the wind comes up... sitting aft is a must.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sail solo from the rear seat 99% of the time.

I reset my control lines so there is only one set. They still run by the front seat on the way to the back so a passenger can still sail the boat from there, or I can move to the front and sail from there. I never really saw any reason to have two sets of control lines.

You do have to scoot up front to drop the dagger board but at the same time you don't crane your neck from watching the telltales from the rear seat. For me, the latter trumps the former.

Try both and see what you like.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I also much prefer the front seat. Most of the time, I'm taking out a friend, relative or guest and teaching them some sailing and handling of the TI so it works out best for both of us: I get my front seat and they learn from the back where most "captains" sail from.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i tried sailing from the front once and then realized that i needed to figure out how to get the furling lines to the rear seat. after this i have never sailed solo from the front again.

i have wondered about the balance a few times when sailing solo from the rear but other than this slight thought i much prefer sailing from the rear seat. it sucks twice having to maneuver to use the dagger-board but it is good exercise.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good thread. I just got word that my TI arrived at the dealer and they are assembling my trailer and TI. I am due to pick it up this weekend.

I will be taking it out solo as well as with people.

I currently have a 13' revolution. I am keeping it until I determine that the TI is easy enough to sail/fish off of without others. I sometimes go by myself and it is nice to walk the revolution down to the lake I live on and go out for an hour or so. We'll see if I keep both.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You should be able to walk your TI down to the lake too (Just don't expect to walk it back up easily) :lol: 8)

Welcome to 'Island' sailing!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In light winds I prefer the rear seat but when the wind gets up out on the haka is a better position than either of the two seats! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I also prefer the front seat...using the furling line is easier for me from the front and I have leaps of gear on the tramps which I can easily access from the front.

Have to admit though that the few times I sailed from the back it was a very dry ride.

Peace
Serbi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually with my TI with the tramps and spray skirts the ride in the front is drier than the rear seat.
Unless I'm out in high ends and rough seas, then either seat is wet.
Anymore when it gets windy and rough I prefer to stay home, as I have a bad back and all the rocking kills my back.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I simply love watching my boat sailing, and the best view on it I have from the rear.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'll add my welcome as well. When soloing my TI, I typically sit in the rear seat and tie the end of the mainsheet line to the yellow furling line so I can easier pull from the rear seat (a trick learned from earlier in this forum). On light wind / low wave days, this seems the most relaxing and a great view of the sail. In heavier winds and wave chop, I always move to the forward seat, as it seems to stabilize the boat from the middle and allows me to hike out on the tramps if need be. Both ways work well.

When teaching someone else, I typically sit in back and transfer control to front seat once we are out so they can 'take the wheel'. That way I can watch exactly what they do and be ready to support if required.

Have fun!

Chicago, IL