Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all,

I'm currently planning a 'trip of a lifetime' to New Zealand (with my wife) towards the end of next year and being away from my beloved TI for circa. 10 weeks is hard to imagine, but to be away from it in the fabulous sailing conditions around NZ is just not an option...! I don't think I will be able to sneak it in my hand-luggage so wondered if any fellow fan-boys (& girls....!) can suggest how I can get my fix whilst in NZ. We will probably be hiring a camper and on the advice of my daughter (she is just about to leave after spending a year touring around both North & South Island) plan to spend the majority of time in the South Island. I really enjoy fishing (albeit I'm not that experienced) and eating what I catch, whilst also perhaps camping out for a few days on the coast.

As we have no fixed itenary as of yet, it would be great to get some suggestions of possible ways to keep my TI addiction at bay (....pun intended) whilst on holiday...

Any help greatly received, whether it be locations, rental for either TI or camper or both? In fact, any help about anything worth knowing whilst planning I'm sure wouldn't go amiss..

Thanks...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie TI's are still bit of a novelty in New Zealand due to the price (2015 $12500!) and there is probably less than 20 in the whole country.

There is only one Hobie dealer in Auckland covering the whole country.
http://www.nzwatershed.co.nz/
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=1286378

I live in Auckland and the Hauraki Gulf must be one of the best places in the world to sail a Hobie Island, it just a shame about the uncompetitive price compared to other options to get out on the water.
http://www.doc.govt.nz/Documents/parks-and-recreation/places-to-visit/auckland/hauraki-gulf-marine-park-island-brochure.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks SB - even more expensive here........!! $13,365.00 !!

Not many in the UK either I don't think - probable 20-30 as well... I just assumed you'd have more I suppose.

Thanks for the info anyway, I don't seem to be able to open the pdf but have taken a note of Hauraki Gulf Marine Park island so will google that.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.....