Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dear Matt and Hobie TI community,

I currently have a Hobie Tandem Island purchased in July 2010 and have many fine experiences under use in moderate condtions (0-20 knots) in inland bays. I would like to extend my range and be able to take the boat into the Chesapeake by passing thru an inlet with a strong tidal current of 5 knots. My question is whether the new eVolve v2 system with solar panels would be appropriate for me and if so what configuration would be appropriate for my Tandem Island?
1. If the eVolve is mounted in the second drive well (so that a single occupant could run the boat from the front seat) what types of maneuvering characteristics would the boat have and are there complete instructions for self installation in this position.
2. I still use the twist and stow rudder with the suggested modifications and have not experienced any of the problems previously discussed(I have not installed the upright rudder).
3. Is the new eVolve electric motor excessively noisy (I’m used to the quiet of sailing)
4. I assume you would need to mount the solar panel on the trampolines. In my experience the tramps destabilize the boat in higher wind conditions with only 2 occupants.
5. What happens if water splashes over the solar panels?
6. Would two solar panels or 2 batteries affect the amount of time that you could run the motor at higher than 2 knots/perhour?
7. Adding an electric motor to this boat will require me to register and comply with all of the coast guard regulations for power craft. Do you have a recommended set of fire extinguisher(small unit specifically for electrical fires I assume), flares/lights, audible signaling device, marine radio, running lights etc. appropriate for this type of craft

Thanks,

Don

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Don.

Here in S FL, I sail my TI through ocean inlets with strong tidal currents that also run 5 knots. They are a breeze to traverse when you can time your transit with the current in your favor. Do you have the luxury to time your transits?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sail either on a 28km long lake, or the nearby ocean. Connecting the two is a 50 metre wide channel. The massive volume of water in the lake takes more than two hours after the tide has changed outside to equalise, so the current reaches up to 7mph.

Clearly, even if I had an evolve helping me on my TI, trying to make progress against the current when at its strongest would be futile (although lots of fun if the wind is right, as you can sail like on a treadmill LOL).

But by using the tidal charts to your advantage, you can experience pretty awesome speeds over the ground by sailing >with< the current.

I am not so sure that fitting an evolve is going to allow you the luxury of ignoring your local tide flows.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

1 st... I only recommend the eVolve on an island for drive well mounting. Never rudder. Use on the rudder greatly reduces rudder effectiveness. It will not fit the current larger island rudders anyway. You need to remove the motor if sailing. The boat moves faster than the motor can go under sail... the motor would be drag.

Quote:
1. If the eVolve is mounted in the second drive well (so that a single occupant could run the boat from the front seat) what types of maneuvering characteristics would the boat have and are there complete instructions for self installation in this position.

Install can be done in either position. Instructions will work for self install if you have basic tools / drill.

Quote:
2. I still use the twist and stow rudder with the suggested modifications and have not experienced any of the problems previously discussed(I have not installed the upright rudder).

I'd get the new rudder. Works way better. Better steering.

Quote:
3. Is the new eVolve electric motor excessively noisy (I’m used to the quiet of sailing)

Hummmmmm Not noisy, but a low level whine maybe.

Quote:
4. I assume you would need to mount the solar panel on the trampolines. In my experience the tramps destabilize the boat in higher wind conditions with only 2 occupants.

You can lay the panel in the rear cargo area.

Quote:
5. What happens if water splashes over the solar panels?

They get wet.... waterproof, so non issue. :)

Quote:
6. Would two solar panels or 2 batteries affect the amount of time that you could run the motor at higher than 2 knots/perhour?

Would double the range by having a spare charged up.

Quote:
7. Adding an electric motor to this boat will require me to register and comply with all of the coast guard regulations for power craft. Do you have a recommended set of fire extinguisher(small unit specifically for electrical fires I assume), flares/lights, audible signaling device, marine radio, running lights etc. appropriate for this type of craft

We don't deal with registration issues or their requirements in a given area. They vary so widely. We do not have safety kits, but suggest contacting your dealer or local marine hardware store for recommendations.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

meyerdc wrote:

Don,

most coast guard requirements for power craft are intended for GAS motors and wouldn't normally be enforced on what is essentially a trolling motor. flares, radio, and fire extinguisher could be carried if they make you feel better but not likely to be needed for a kayak with a sail and a trolling motor. running lights are only necessary 30 minutes before dark, not for daylight time use. you are already required to carry an audible signaling device, i recommend a quality beadless whistle attached to every pfd and one on the boat. no reason you can't get a registration for your boat (the dealer can provide some of the necessary paperwork) but didn't you pay enough taxes on it already? I paid about $300. Do you you really want to add another $70~ a year to that? Don't forget the tag on the trailer too...

best bet is to have an inspection by the CG auxilary and see want they say. be aware that because the TI is so versital, it is debatable what it's classification is. When asked about the boat, always say it is (under) 18' not 18.5' (projections like the rudder are not normally counted as LOA), it is a kayak with a sail kit added, not a sailboat, and that the eVolve is only a trolling motor, not a means of propulsion.

No offsense meant to our law enforcement brethen but avoiding certain buzz words will likely avoid hassles.

cheers,

j

ps. you might contact toquedo (sp?) and ask how their motor is classified and if it changes the status of your boat. certain exclusions to normal rules have been made for certain classes of vessels (like jetskis).

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been thinking about buying the solar powered evolve system.
Is there a difference in the handling of a TI depending on whether the motor is inserted in the forward or rear Mirage well? For several reasons, I prefer to sit in the rear seat, so the motor may have to be forward.
I know that I will have to install the control joystick...this will depend on which well the motor sits in.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

For motoring... should make little difference, but I think you need to sit in the seat that the eVolve is mounted in due to cable length issues. Not really positive on that though. You still need to pull the eVolve drive out of the well when sailing. The extra drag of the motor would effect handling.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)