Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

[img]C:\Documentsandsettings\biggles\MyDocuments\JPEG[/img]

Greetings fellow Wet-tails;
I too got sick of sitting in a hipbath, though fortunately for me the water in Darwin Australia is almost body temperature. I screwed a plastic garden chair to a couple of prepared planks and set my supplied Hobie seat on top of that. Advantages are; 1. It steers better 2. I am now sitting higher and a little further back ...that results inthe centre of gravity moving aft, so even in rough windy conditions running with or pounding into waves to 3-5 feet, the bow and akas ride the waves instead of submarining. 3. I do still get a bit wet especially pounding into short steep waves, but my tail end is not becoming pickled in salt water.
Disadvantages are; 1. I have the pedals set on the first position and only being 5'7" I can only just get full strokes in if pedal power is required. 2. Though steering with my foot was quite satisfacory, it was inconveniet if I had to pedal. To overcome this I rigged up a steering line which works well, but interferes when I paddle onto the beach after retracting the Mirage Drive. I would supply piccies here, but not being too CP savvy, despite asking , I still cannot work out how to set them into this page.
Although the AI is already a fun boat to play with, it seem a higher seat moved a little aft turns the AI into a quite different and surprisingly pleasant boat.
Cheers Ian...
Quote:
If it ain't broke...modify it anyway!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Easiest way to post pics here is to open a free account at www.photobucket.com or www.flickr.com or others, and upload your pics to an album you create there. They make it a doddle to then export the image, like you did, but it will work, unlike trying it directly from your own hard disk.

Here is my alternative seating, which works like a charm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If any part of you is dry, you're just not doing it right! :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH0z_wiH4ME

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's not getting wet that's a pain, as much as getting marinated. You can get an occasional soaking sitting up on the Hakas or Quarterdeck, but you dry out quickly.
Also, note how almost all the splash in that video is occurring to leeward. You don't cop any of that when you are sitting out to windward.