Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I'm looking for a Mirage Drive to keep as a backup on my AI in case the one I have breaks on the water. I was looking for a used one but I don't know much about older Mirage Drives.

I found a Mirage Drive v1 for sale, and I think that's something like 2008-2009. I'm told it will fit in the AI, but does anyone have input on whether it'd work on the AI or not? Will it propel enough? Should I get a newer version as backup?

I just don't want to buy a backup only to have it break or give me significant problems getting back to safety (it can get real bad here in CA). I often take it out without the sail.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All Mirage Drives should fit All Hobies. The newer ones have the alignment pin that might have to be removed for the older models but not for a 2015.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The v1 mirage drives are just as reliable as the V2, plus the V1 drives can be upgraded to V2 if desired. The only ones I would stay away from are the 2013 vintage v2 drives only, hobie had a material supply problem for a short time on the pedal arms, but they fixed that quickly. The is no way to know which are good or bad by looking at them.
I have 2012 v2 drives and upgraded to the glide technology, knowing what I know now, just buying new fins would have been sufficient, ( the most bang for the buck), the roller bearings only add an itzy bit, but some want that.
FE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the feedback, I'll go ahead and pick this up as a backup for emergencies!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On last year's Chokoloskee to Flamingo trip, Marty Cooperman had a used 2015 AI 2. Unfortunately, it did not have the newer 2015 mirage drive. Rather it had an older drive, and it just did not fit. Marty spent the whole trip trying to get it to fit his 2015. You can read about it here, http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=855 I don't know the year of the drive that did not fit, but, fortunately, when Marty contacted the person from whom he purchased the 2015 AI 2, the person sent him a brand new drive. Nice.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The hub shaft on a v1 drive can rotate and if you use in in a click and go hull it can unclip itself. You may need to replace with a V2 shaft, which is splined to stop it rotating. Not expensive. Just use the replacement shaft to drive the old one out and drive new one in. In an emergency you could swap your shaft existing across.