Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oooooops....!!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So, the last few weeks/months have been spent deliberating about which fishfinder/charplotter to get and how to fix it to my TI. Decision made I went with the Lowrance Elite 7 TI c/w 1.5" Ram ball.... however that's not the reason for the post! I was soooo fixated by the above that after a period of no sailing I finally made the 35 mile journey to my usual spot on the coast and after removing my TI from the roof of the car I realised I'd forgotten my sail!!! Thank God for the mirage drive and my Honda outboard! Gotta love Hobie Islands...!!

Anyone else forgotten something critical??

Haliboo

PS. Fishfinder is Fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Oooooops....!!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

LOL. :lol:

I've been many miles out on the water only to suddenly realize I'd forgot my life vest. Not a good feeling. My inflatable pfd is so lightweight I sometime forget I'm wearing it, and sometimes forget to wear it at all. So now I always carry a spare.

One time I took it off when I stopped to rest in a protected bay on a very windy, wavy day. I left it just sitting in the back of the boat. When I started sailing again I forgot all about it and it wasn't until several miles later that I realized I wan't wearing it. When I turned around to retrieve it, it was gone. It was unsecured and fell overboard in the rough seas. $120 lost.

Live and learn!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

pro10is wrote:
LOL. :lol:

I've been many miles out on the water only to suddenly realize I'd forgot my life vest. Not a good feeling. My inflatable pfd is so lightweight I sometime forget I'm wearing it, and sometimes forget to wear it at all. So now I always carry a spare.

One time I took it off when I stopped to rest in a protected bay on a very windy, wavy day. I left it just sitting in the back of the boat. When I started sailing again I forgot all about it and it wasn't until several miles later that I realized I wan't wearing it. When I turned around to retrieve it, it was gone. It was unsecured and fell overboard in the rough seas. $120 lost.

Live and learn!

Could have been worse I guess!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea I really enjoying the inflatable pfd I found just floating on the water (just kidding).
I too have lost pfd's that I forgot to tie down.
FE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I left my sail sitting next to the boat ramp at the sailing club after my second sail. I didn't have the code to get back in the gate after I realized I had forgotten it. There was a small walk in though next to the gate. Had to carry the mast on my shoulder about 3 blocks back to the boat outside the gate. It all ended well.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

Post subject: Oooooops....!!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Like I said - thank goodness for my outboard
Recognise the mount FE ?

Whilst I'm admitting 'epic fails'.... a couple of months back I was in a rush to get out on the water to set a lobster trap so elected to leave the sail and AMA's on dry land and just go with the motor. Turtled the whole thing in the harbour with bunch of onlookers almost immediately after jumping onboard - guess the weight of and outboard motor on one side only kindof makes the whole setup unstable !!! Doh.....!!

PS. Motor survived without having to pickle it... and actually seems to be running better now? - go figure :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Funny, that stupid mount didn't take me two hrs to make six yrs ago now for about ten bucks (I already had the rod material left over from something else. It's still going strong, I built a new one a couple yrs back so I could run two engines, but that original is still hangin in the garage as a backup. Hopefully you have the spectra strings attached to the lower unit to take up some of the rotational stress (the rod holder pockets aren't well supported inside the hull).
FE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Funny.. a buddy of mine says that the first thing you do after you do something dumb is to look around and see if anyone was watching..

I launch off trailer and always leave the ama bungees undone when on the trailer (bungees that hold the amas to the akas). Several times I have launched and completely forgot to re-attach those bungees. Once in fairly good wind I rolled out the sail and took off. The upwind ama just dropped off and was left behind.. Of course it was near the launch ramp for lots of folks to see and enjoy (since I looked around to check who was watching).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

walt wrote:
Funny.. a buddy of mine says that the first thing you do after you do something dumb is to look around and see if anyone was watching..

I launch off trailer and always leave the ama bungees undone when on the trailer (bungees that hold the amas to the akas). Several times I have launched and completely forgot to re-attach those bungees. Once in fairly good wind I rolled out the sail and took off. The upwind ama just dropped off and was left behind.. Of course it was near the launch ramp for lots of folks to see and enjoy (since I looked around to check who was watching).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can picture it like the training wheels on a U-2 dropping off at take off. Did you need a chase car to come back in safely? :lol:

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I usually rig the TI completely before backing down the ramp. One time shortly after getting it I tried leaving the amas folded in on the cradles while backing down.

Everything went fine, until I folded them out while on the water - having forgotten to attach the bungees. When I sat on one side of the main hull the other side akas lifted out of the ama and it started to float away.

Naturally I had an audience. This was a weekday - a SCHOOL day - and an entire high school science class was there looking at the aquatic life around the ramp! :roll:

Not on my TI, but I also once took my kayak along on a business trip out of town. The city I was working in had several nice lakes so each day I went to work at this location I'd stop by a different one on the way home for a quick paddle. The last lake I tried was waaaay off the highway, really convoluted to get to. Beautiful location though! And no motor boats!

I get to the ramp, pull the kayak down off the truck, get set up - and go to assemble the paddle only to find I had brought the same half of two paddles! Every previous trip I had taken my sit-in kayak and this would have been a real annoyance but fortunately this time I had my Hobie Outback so the paddle was only needed to maneuver away from the ramp long enough to put in the pedal drive! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
and an entire high school science class was there looking at the aquatic life around the ramp!

Well.. that is funny! The kids also got to learn a little about sailing... LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
Funny, that stupid mount didn't take me two hrs to make six yrs ago now for about ten bucks (I already had the rod material left over from something else. It's still going strong, I built a new one a couple yrs back so I could run two engines, but that original is still hangin in the garage as a backup. Hopefully you have the spectra strings attached to the lower unit to take up some of the rotational stress (the rod holder pockets aren't well supported inside the hull).
FE

Yup, copied the Spectra as well... works a treat!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A few times I have gone out and the boat seems to be moving very slowly... I come up with all kinds of theories of hidden currents, deceptive winds, hull filling with water... then I realize I forgot to remove the plug-in cart. Once it was completely covered in weeds and I could barely lift it out of the water. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've done the exact same thing more than once, (Forgot to remove the scupper cart).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Me too... also left the sail tie on, pfd in car etc etc