Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2013 Tandem Island
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

jbernier,
thank you for your comment, may I have a clarification please:
I too am looking to purchase a TI. I can trailer it close to the water, but need to roll it about 100m or so to the water.
I had planned on getting the HD plug in cart with the recommended cradle, but have been told to opt for the beach dolly instead by my dealer.

Can you please comment:

1 - Is the problem merely a question of discomfort due to the weight or is there a damage issue? If only discomfort, it might still be worth getting the more compact plug in over the dolly.

2 - I very much like idea of taking my cart with me. Can the HD plug in cart be plugged in and sailed with without getting in the way of myself, lines, etc? I see form the 2013 catalog that a cradle is shown as required for use with the TI and the HD cart; if so can this cradle also be taken on board in a practical manner? Is this all fantasy in the sense that I should assume anything which rolls will stay ashore, and therefore opt for the dolly?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Newbie here. Sorry to hijack the thread but couldn't see anywhere else more appropriate to ask my question.

I too am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new TI (New Red) My local dealer has one in stock and has shown me the price. Is there any point in trying to negotiate the price or given that we are still early in the season (in the US at least), would that be futile? From what I have seen it seems that the retail price is fairly firmly controlled.

I am also interested in the cart questions as am a little confused about which I would opt for.

Thanks,

Jeremy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

jslewis1 wrote:
Newbie here. Sorry to hijack the thread but couldn't see anywhere else more appropriate to ask my question.

I too am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new TI (New Red) My local dealer has one in stock and has shown me the price. Is there any point in trying to negotiate the price or given that we are still early in the season (in the US at least), would that be futile? From what I have seen it seems that the retail price is fairly firmly controlled.

I am also interested in the cart questions as am a little confused about which I would opt for.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Hey Jeremy - there's not much need for most Hobie dealers to consider a discount - these things practically fly off the shelves and you won't see too many dealers with old stock. Where you might save some money is on a demo model - many dealers use them to allow potential customers to have a trial sail or take them to events to show them off - sometimes they trick them up with options to demo the boat so ask your dealer about a demo boat. Expect it to have some scratches and blemishes (which it will have shortly after you have sailed it a few times anyway)
Good luck!
Barry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

jslewis1 wrote:

Thanks,

Jeremy

The only TIs I've seen for less than list price were rental boats being sold off at the end of the season. There aren't a lot of places out there that rent Islands, so they're not easy to find and sometimes rentals can be in pretty rough shape so the discount might not be that great a deal after all.

Speaking of the cart... while you might not get a deal on the boat itself, you might get a better deal if you buy a few accessories at the same time. I bought my boat, the cart, the cradles and the trampoline at the same time and got about $500 off (if I remember correctly).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought my 2012 TI at the end of last April, about half way through the model year. I also purchased lots of other stuff (safety gear, VHF, FF/plotter etc etc, and the dealer gave a pretty good discount for the whole package.

That could be an avenue for you to consider.