Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know various members are rigging their TI's so that the akas cannot dismount from the Xbars. This approach is so simple that somebody may have posted it already. It's not so good if you are constantly taking the akas out of their Xbar sockets when rigging or unrigging for sailing. But if your boat lives on a trailer (as mine does), and the akas stay in the sockets, it's quite nice. No hardware, just some line and two knots.

Here, the aka is folded in. Notice the slack.

Here, the aka is folded out, and because of the geometry, the line is tensioned.

Start with the aka folded. Take about 30" (I used longer pieces and trimmed after) of 3/16. Tie small bowline in one end. Then, using that end, put a clove hitch around the aka in the position shown. There's a thing that you do (not sure how to describe it) where you capture the bowline underneath the part of the clove hitch where the line crosses. The bowline extends from the "crotch" of the clove hitch.

Now just take the other end around the Xbar clamp, go through the bowline, and start tying half hitches. Tie a couple and swing the aka out. If you are too loose, you will have no tension. If you are too tight, you will feel the resistance in swinging the aka out, so stop and tie the half hitches with more slack in the loop around the Xbar clamp. You can easily adjust the loop size so that you get a bar tight loop that prevents the aka from slipping out of it's socket no matter what the spring clips might do.

Sorry I can't describe the knots better, but perhaps this is enough.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh--and I should mention that it works fine on the forward akas even with tramps and a spray shield in place.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

No idea how to tie that knot but thanks for the info. I never had mine done before but now that i will be out on/in the real ocean i will have to do this, just as an added safety measure.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll try to draw a picture of it tonight and post it here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, here's a drawing of how to make the clove hitch.

Where you see the loop fed back under the crossing strand, pull that end out, and create a loop on that end (a bowline normally).

Here are the half hitches...

The rest might be clear from the pictures and my original post. Post again here if not....