Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi All,

This weekend a took my TI up to Nelson Bay (NSW) and managed a top speed of 14.8 km/h (7.99 Knots) - recorded by my Garmin foretrex 401.

Wind was pretty strong, that was a beam reach.

Interested to hear what speeds others have managed with the TI ?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have experienced the truly weird situation of surfing down a huge wave at incredible speed yet my Elite4 showed me only doing 3 1/2 knots! I am not sure what the speed of the tide was but it was not helping :lol:

I have seen tidal flow of more than six knots in the channel between Wallis Lake and the ocean.

I often see in excess of seven knots going to windward, but only when the tide is helping. The flow gets pretty significant when the 28km long lake tries to empty (or fill) between various islands and through a channel less than 50 metres wide....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On my GPS (a Garmin Map76CSx) I get 2 different top speed reading, an instantaneous reading on the screen, and an average per segment from the tracks. The instantaneous reading can be much higher as it's the fastest speed the GPS recorded that session where average per segment (my term) averages over however long and far it chooses before saving that segment.

With that said, NOHUHU and I hit 12.34 knots (14.2mph) instantaneous speed on the TI3 testing (http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=38827&hilit=ti3) a couple of weeks ago. On other TI outings this year on Maui I've hit top speeds of 8, 9.3 and 10 knots sailing a TI.

I sail AI's more often, and have much more varied top speeds on them over almost 5 years of data, though the TI is a bit faster in most conditions. Here's my log page from my website http://www.kayakingbob.com/sailing-log but I just noticed I didn't add which boat (AI/TI) I was in each trip. If you click on "track" on any trip (at least this year) it will display the GPS data with a description of which boat I was in. You can even "play back" the trip on the screen.

About once a year I hit very high instantaneous speeds in unusual conditions, but usually not lasting very long (5-30 seconds).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have video of this run too. Was good fun. I'm sure the spray skirts helped. :wink:

I'll get around to sharing it as soon as I get further along my "Honey-do" list (caulking the bathroom, painting the garage, vacuuming the ceilings,... :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i finally got my finshfinder/gps combo on my ti and took it out yesterday, in 15-20k winds i was reaching 8.5 mph on the gps. i know it can go faster, i'd gone faster in my AI.

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My TI probably doesn't count because it's highly modified ( ie.. Jib spinnaker), but I have hit 18-19 mph on several occasions .