Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Haka Bench Seat Idea
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you could get your hands on two of these stretchers, I think they might work. Might even match your TI/AI.

http://www.sz-wholesaler.com/p/670/676-1/plastic-stretcher-hs010118-268536.html

Post subject: Re: Haka Bench Seat Idea
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

G';day Diva...Hey you might be onto something here. At 1,850mm there is enough length to reach fore and aft akas comfortably. I have just e-mailed off for a unit price. Will spread the news when I get it.
Cheers, Vintagereplica ...if it works okay...modify it anyway!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was wondering about the cost myself. I was impressed by the 400 pound capacity and the fact that they float. Now I'm wondering what's the best way to attach them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Diver_fcd :
This board is 6 ft long, it will easily fit over the existing AKA's that have a center to center distance of 57 inches (TI).
I just have the regular trampoline option on my TI now, which works out nicely for us, and allows us to take extra passengers and gear. However with just the tramps it is impractical to sail from the rear seat position because you cannot hike out to level the boat.
What I'm wondering is if it would be possible to add longer Haka benches around 8 ft long (unsupported in the rear) so when sailing from the rear seat position it would be possible to hike out onto the Haka while sailing. I know others have done it like on the TI3 in Hawaii, but I wouldn't be interested in adding all that extra hardware (an extra AKA bar system behind the rear seat).
I'm actually suprised that I have not seen anyone try it (a really long HAKA). The TI especially seems to sail better when the weight is rearward, but your stuck when sitting in the rear seat sailing trying to sail solo with no means to hike out. I'm actually a little suprised nobody talks about this. I for one always sail solo from the front seat, simply so I can hike out.
Apparently this plastic stretcher board is only for very short people, if they had one for taller people thats 8 ft long, this would be the perfect solution.
An added benefit is you could always use your boat for medical evacuation like a portable mash helicoper (Korean war era) (just kidding).
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob, I am nearly done with my 8 ft hakas as we speak. they are also 16" wide. 22lbs each with all hardware.

President - Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association

Like us on Facebook!

Check out my PA12 mods HERE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yaknrugger:
It sounds like you thought about this also. When you get the Haka's done we all would love to see pics. This will likely be my next project (the projects never end LOL).
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

fusioneng wrote:
Diver_fcd :
This board is 6 ft long, it will easily fit over the existing AKA's that have a center to center distance of 57 inches (TI).
I just have the regular trampoline option on my TI now, which works out nicely for us, and allows us to take extra passengers and gear. However with just the tramps it is impractical to sail from the rear seat position because you cannot hike out to level the boat.
What I'm wondering is if it would be possible to add longer Haka benches around 8 ft long (unsupported in the rear) so when sailing from the rear seat position it would be possible to hike out onto the Haka while sailing. I know others have done it like on the TI3 in Hawaii, but I wouldn't be interested in adding all that extra hardware (an extra AKA bar system behind the rear seat).
I'm actually suprised that I have not seen anyone try it (a really long HAKA). The TI especially seems to sail better when the weight is rearward, but your stuck when sitting in the rear seat sailing trying to sail solo with no means to hike out. I'm actually a little suprised nobody talks about this. I for one always sail solo from the front seat, simply so I can hike out.
Apparently this plastic stretcher board is only for very short people, if they had one for taller people thats 8 ft long, this would be the perfect solution.
An added benefit is you could always use your boat for medical evacuation like a portable mash helicoper (Korean war era) (just kidding).
Bob

Cantilever HAKAS.

Its the way to go

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASbldG1JgEw[/youtube]

cc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chopcat:
I like it. I had thought about mounting the longer HAKA's right next to the hull so you could just climb out on them from the rear seat, but this would not give you the weight out where you need it.
I like your setup better (with the HAKA's way out over the AMA's), it looks like you can easily get out there when hiking (at time 1.50 into video), that looks to be the perfect place to sit when hiking out (just behind the rear AKA).
Are the HAKA's 8 ft long, the length you have looks to be about the right length. I also like your tiller bar.
I was thinking of using 5/4 x 6 x 8ft pressure treated deck boards (@ 3.97 ea)
( http://www.homedepot.com/Lumber-Composi ... reId=10051 ). 4 boards total (2 on each side). I will probably go for the ten footers, then cut them a little shorter to suit.

I'm hoping I can sand them to get a nice finish then put a urethane coat on (so they don't look too green). It will likely be a bit of work cutting a bunch of slots into the boards.

Now for sure this is my next project, thanks for sharing.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

There are some pictures on the other Haka thread.

If I remember they are between 8 and 9 feet long. I think I wrote it down in that thread.

Cc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Guys - any tips/gems would be better shared over in the mother-of-all-haka-threads, rather than orphan discussions. The range and quality of ideas shared in the "Book of Haka" is what helps make it the most successful Hobie thread of all time. (50 pages and still growing).

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=37645

Diver, the spine board idea was originally raised in the main thread and discussed quite a bit. I hope you'll be able to test these and I'd invite you to add to our group discussion there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
Chopcat:
I was thinking of using 5/4 x 6 x 8ft pressure treated deck boards (@ 3.97 ea)
( http://www.homedepot.com/Lumber-Composi ... reId=10051 ). 4 boards total (2 on each side). I will probably go for the ten footers, then cut them a little shorter to suit.

Bob

Bob, did you check the weight of these. At 10 feet long, they say it is 18.4 pounds each planks, so, 4, at 8 feet woud be a total weight of 60 pounds less the diagonal braces....Kind of heavy,,,no ?? I got that info on the Quebec Home Hardware website.....

Richard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Look pages 27 to 30 http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=37645
You can see photos and videos of spine boards haka bench.
For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... p0xoYJCpN4

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Jp0xoYJCpN4[/youtube]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lomcevak:
Holy crap is that heavy, scrap that plan.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Diver_fcd wrote:
I was wondering about the cost myself. I was impressed by the 400 pound capacity and the fact that they float. Now I'm wondering what's the best way to attach them.

I've heard a split portion of PVC pipe can work well; perhaps lined with neoprene or some other rubbery substance.

You can also but a couple of blocks on as grooves or channels, and neoprene inside that.

Regarding the mother of all haka threads - the only issue with it is having to read fifty pages on a limited time budget.

Mariner Sails Wind & Watersports

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
yaknrugger:
It sounds like you thought about this also. When you get the Haka's done we all would love to see pics. This will likely be my next project (the projects never end LOL).
Bob

No kidding Bob, I'm here on the gulf with you so just wondering when I'm going to have to install one of your bowsprit/jib/spin combo with the light summer winds. Anyhow, I posted some pics of my heavily cantilevered hakas. They is nearly 3 feet after the rear aka. 8' total, and 16" wide. You can see them here: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=37645&p=201440#p201440

President - Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association

Like us on Facebook!

Check out my PA12 mods HERE