Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased a used TI from the for sale section.

It's a 2013 TI and is in excellent shape. I've neither been out on the ocean in a kayak or sailed before and I am looking for someone willing to help me learn to use my TI, either we could go out together with two boats, together on my TI, or together on your vessel. I'm not sure what would be the best for learning and I'll go with whatever you suggest. I am a very quick learner and could probably figure it out alone (Hobie designed a nice simple vessel), but I think it would be safer to go out for the first time with someone experienced with the TI

I live in Orange County and can drive to you.
I would also like to join a club to have others to go out with, both sailing and fishing

Thanks!
Anil

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There is a Hobie Cat regatta on San Diego Bay next weekend, May 31, in Chula Vista They have invited Hobie Island Club to join them there. This might be a good opportunity tp meet other Island owners and club members, do some sailing in fairly protected bay waters. Start on the Facebook page for Hobie Island Club, but PM me for more info if you need it (away Fri-Mon).
There are two island clubs in OC, out of Newport Beach and out of Dana Point, each associated with Hobie dealers. I have more experience with Dana Point Jetski and Kayak dealer and associated club, but South Coast (?) one has held some events. Contact Lorraine at Hobie Cat for more information, to sign up (and get a free Island Club shirt). Start on the Facebook page for Hobie Island Club.
If the above don't suit you, I'd be happy to sail with you sometime, on my local water of Lake Perris, or off OC coast. The boats are easy to learn to sail. Sharing a TI for while might be the quickest way to get instruction, but I have also pretty much dumped newbies onto an AI with a few instructions and let them find out what what works. Hard to capsize in the kind of wind a beginner would try, and you can always reef the sail and peddle back if you have a problem getting it to go where you want.