Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: seat padding; airhawk?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My butt gets sore after an hour or two, especially when I'm mostly pedaling. I thought about an airhawk motorcycle seat pad. Anyone ever tried that, or other kind of butt padding?
Bartman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I tried this seat that is made for people with spine and other problems with their bottom. It is very comfortable but the open cell foam gets waterlogged then takes forever to dry out. I may try putting it in a plastic bag.

http://www.contourliving.com/kabooti-do ... MgodqAYAEg

I'm also trying a dense piece of closed cell foam from about 1" thick from an old military packing crate . It has sort of a cork like appearance, not like solid closed cell foam. I set my Hobie seat on it and traced the outline with a red marker then cut it out easily on a woodcutting bandsaw. It works pretty good too but I haven't A/B compared it to the above seat which is still drying out.

The first seat came from my Mom who had a compression wound on her butt. The doc at the wound center told her to get a Tempurpedic pillow to sit on because donuts and the above seat are useless for relieving pressure. It's got me thinking about trying on for the kayak but I bet the foam is also open cell.

Austin Kayak sells sheets or "mini-cell" foam in various thicknesses.
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/978 ... -1-in.html
- Chris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just cut up an old pool float matress (1 1/2 " latex foam covered in rubber), cut it to the shape of the seat bottom, placed under the seat then put a mesh laundry bag over the whole works and cinched the bag shut at the back. I spend long hrs on my boat every weekend and am very comfortable and dry, it's about 2 1/2 yrs old now and never been removed from the boat.
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bartman49 wrote:
My butt gets sore after an hour or two, especially when I'm mostly pedaling. I thought about an airhawk motorcycle seat pad. Anyone ever tried that, or other kind of butt padding?
Bartman

Buttman, sorry I meant Bartman, can't help with the airhawk, butt err...you have heard of the iComfort seat? It makes a big difference to comfort. :)

Edit: Just googled that Airhawk and you might be onto something. It does look comfortable and would keep you drier. Expensive though ..but what price comfort?
Just have to work out a way to fix it so it doesn't slide.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is what I use. Dosen't take on water, is thick and keeps you out of the water.

http://m.academy.com/shop/Product_10151 ... uy&Ntk=All

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Like Stringy, I (and my wife) use the Hobie iComfort inflatable. Comfortable, works great.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

iComfort here too. They are comfortable enough that I have been able to control the urge to buy a 2015 model for the new seats :twisted:

I worried about their durability before I bought them, but after three years they are still holding up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the heads up re this Airhawk seat Bartman.
I finally got one and have found it more comfortable than the I-Comfort seat pad and even the Vantage CT!
Review here: viewtopic.php?f=11&p=274763#p274763

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for that extremely thorough review stringy, your opinions are worth bottling!

For those into experimenting at ghetto costs, you can get closed-cell foam yoga mats extremely cheaply, and there is enough material in a typical mat to cut out at least four, maybe five bum shaped pieces.

You can get different thicknesses and no doubt different densities as well, but the one I got a 11mm thick, so four thicknesses would be almost 2 inches thick. You could try to provide a more contoured "comfort zone" by cutting out butt circles in the second top and/or bottom layer (this is starting to sound inappropriate for some reason!).

As a yoga mat only costs around $10, feel free to suck it and see (ooha!)!