Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Triak
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was keenly interested in the Triak. In fact, I ordered a boat last May. While Triak accepted my money, they failed to respond to any of my e-mails or phone calls for more than a month. Their web site went dark. I soon discovered on a Yahoo site devoted to the Triak, that I wasn't the only customer who had gotten stiffed. The company just shut down for months. People didn't get boats or parts they ordered. TriakSports didn't answer the phone or respond to e-mails. I did manage to get my money back but I'm not so sure all their customers were as fortunate. I spoke to a dealer in Florida who was getting out of the business of selling Triaks because he had been provided with defective boats and did not get an appropriate response from Triak.

Triak is essentially a one man operation. While I believe that its owner, Thayer Ridgeway, is an honest man, it is clear that the company lacks the resources to provide anything close to adequate customer service. Perhaps they have made improvements to the operation since then. It is a very nice design but there are quality control and durability issues. Perhaps these have been addressed since my experience. I'm considering a Hobie now but with some reluctance. The Triak is in many ways a more compelling design.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A more compelling design isn't going to do you much good if you can't get it.

Everybody likes something different. Maybe your needs will be better me by the Triak, but I have to ask, have you ever owned a boat that featured the Mirage Drive? If so then you can obviously make an informed comparison. If not, you may find that the Mirage Drive, by virtue of greatly expanding the capabilities of the boat, may make the Hobie the more compelling design.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the insight Centuar.

I guess we won't have them to kick around much longer... :cry: