Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm a transplant from MO, does anybody know if I need to register my AI in KY and put registration #s on my hull?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Let me add that I've read the KY regs inside out. The questionable reg says any boat solely paddled or peddled does not need to register. Has anybody with an AI in KY successfully make the argument that since one often has to peddle thru the tack/jibe that it's not a sailboat but indeed a kayak?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sailhoky,

I wouldn't try that arguement... it's sure to fail in the eyes of the law. Here in Texas I registered my TI because according to the state of Texas, "If it has a sail onboard (in use or not), it IS a sailboat and SHALL be registered as required by law. If the mast and sail are fully removed and NOT onboard, then it's a kayak and need not be registered."

A while back, a buddy of mine, TxYakMan (on this forum), was given a pop inspection at the boat ramp by Texas Parks and Wildlife. Fortunately, he too had registered his boat. He also had all required gear onboard and was given highest marks.

If there's the slightest possibility that registration could be required for your AI in your state, go ahead and register your boat. If nothing else, it'll give you peace of mind and you'll appear responsible in the eyes of the "boat police."

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Of course you're right on all counts. Was cautiously optimistic that other ky owners had tried and succeeded. If it doesn't work in TX, probably wouldn't work here. I'll have to register 2 AI's, 1 Outback (so I can sail it on occasion) and a pontoon boat. Sigh... The best part is that my tax dollars are going to a worthy group. Thanks for your reply. Have a great sailing year!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah, when I first discovered I had to register my TI, I felt a little put out. Satisfying all the signature requirements from the manufacturer & dealer, documenting the Hobie hull number, certifying the build date & vessel specs... it was a bit of a pain. But in the process I got to give my boat an officialy registered NAME. 8) That was pretty cool. Also, I've noticed something in other boaters. They see the registration stickers on my boat and seem to give it a little more regard. Strange how the human mind works.

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wouldn't bother registering all three boats, just register the two ai's. Put the numbers on a removable sheet of plexiglas and zip tie it to the ai's. When you take out the outback, move the numbers from one of the ai's over.

I haven't and won't register my ti till I get a ticket, I don't believe in volunteering tax money and I don't believe we fit into a group that needs to be regulated.

Find out what the fine is for not registering in your state, play dumb the first time someone bothers you, and then pay. You might find that they don't bother safe looking sailboats, especially if you wear a pfd full time. I've been talked to several times by park rangers, cops, and DNR, they seem more interested in what the boat is rather than issuing tickets.

Cheers

J

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Respectfully, the suggestion about transfering the registration from one boat to another via a removable panel is BAD advice.

I worked as a Federal Park Ranger one year while in college and that's exactly the type of shameless act that gaurantees a ticket.

Ignorance can be dismissed, but not trickery. It insults the rangers and brodcasts to them that you think they're stupid.

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Have a trip planned today to KY Hobie dealer to order the '13 AI. He (or she) ought to know. Regardless, I'm not going to register the Outback. Going to relegate it to fishing (sans sail) only. Thanks for your replies!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, we visited the Hobie dealer in Paducah, KY. Lots of kayaks but they've never sold an AI and there were none on the floor. Sigh...guess we'll be making the trip back to St. Louis to our really good, knowledgable dealer there (St. Louis Sail & Paddle Center).

It would appear that we have the only AI on KY Lake. Assuming we get the '13, we'll be having our own match racing events. Not a bad thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The saga continues. The Frankfurt, KY Hobie dealer doesn't sell AIs either but referred me to the Louisville dealer. Next phone call...

Hurray! Two Hobie sales people said we don't need to register the AIs. Great-now I can spend that money on a GPS. :)

Thanks all!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There is a great dealer in Indianapolis if you are still looking. They will probably have show specials at February's Boat Sport and Travel Show.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Playing it safe is one approach, but I just cannot see the point in paying the state more than necessary. Knowing the law and being lawful are more important in my mind that playing it safe. Just my opinion.

With that said, the statute for registration requirements in your state should be easily accessible on the web. Read it carefully, as it can be deceiving initially. For instance below is the Florida regulation. Paragraph 2 sub (d) in the second half clearly states that I do not have to register because it is a non-motor powered kayak (regardless of length).

The 2012 Florida Statutes

Title XXIV
VESSELS
Chapter 328
VESSELS: TITLE CERTIFICATES; LIENS; REGISTRATION
View Entire Chapter
328.48 Vessel registration, application, certificate, number, decal, duplicate certificate.—
(1)(a) The owner of each vessel required by this law to pay a registration fee and secure an identification number shall file an application with the county tax collector. The application shall provide the owner’s name and address; residency status; personal or business identification, which may include, but need not be limited to, a driver’s license number, Florida identification card number, or federal employer identification number; and a complete description of the vessel, and shall be accompanied by payment of the applicable fee required in s. 328.72. Registration is not required for any vessel that is not used on the waters of this state.
(b) For purposes of registration, the owner may establish proof of ownership of the vessel by submitting with his or her application an executed bill of sale, a builder’s contract, a manufacturer’s statement of origin, a federal marine document, or any other document acceptable to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles and presented at the time of registration to the agency issuing the registration certificate.
(2) Each vessel operated, used, or stored on the waters of this state must be registered as a commercial vessel or recreational vessel as defined in s. 327.02, unless it is:
(a) A vessel operated, used, and stored exclusively on private lakes and ponds;
(b) A vessel owned by the United States Government;
(c) A vessel used exclusively as a ship’s lifeboat; or
(d) A non-motor-powered vessel less than 16 feet in length or a non-motor-powered canoe, kayak, racing shell, or rowing scull, regardless of length.
(3) The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles shall issue certificates of registration and numbers for city, county, and state-owned vessels, charging only the service fees required in s. 328.72(7) and (8), provided the vessels are used for purposes other than recreation.
(4) Each certificate of registration issued shall state among other items the numbers awarded to the vessel, the hull identification number, the name and address of the owner, and a description of the vessel, except that certificates of registration for vessels constructed or assembled by the owner registered for the first time shall state all the foregoing information except the hull identification number. The numbers shall be placed on each side of the forward half of the vessel in such position as to provide clear legibility for identification, except, if the vessel is an airboat, the numbers may be placed on each side of the rudder. The numbers awarded to the vessel shall read from left to right and shall be in block characters of good proportion not less than 3 inches in height. The numbers shall be of a solid color which will contrast with the color of the background and shall be so maintained as to be clearly visible and legible; i.e., dark numbers on a light background or light numbers on a dark background. The certificate of registration shall be pocket-sized and shall be available for inspection on the vessel for which issued whenever such vessel is in operation.
(5) A decal signifying the year or years during which the certificate is valid shall be furnished by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles with each registration certificate issued. The decal issued to an undocumented vessel shall be displayed by affixing it to the port (left) side of the vessel within 6 inches before or after the registration number. The decal issued to a documented vessel shall be placed on the port (left) side of the vessel and may be affixed to a window or the windshield on the port (left) side of the vessel in lieu of being placed on the hull. A decal issued to a dealer shall be affixed, with the registration number, to a removable sign pursuant to s. 328.52(2). Any decal for a previous year shall be removed from a vessel operating on the waters of the state.
(6) When a vessel decal has been stolen, the owner of the vessel for which the decal was issued shall make application to the department for a replacement. The application shall contain the decal number being replaced and a statement that the item was stolen. If the application includes a copy of the police report prepared in response to a report of a stolen decal, such decal shall be replaced at no charge.
(7) Any decal lost in the mail may be replaced at no charge. The service charge shall not be applied to this replacement; however, the application for a replacement shall contain a statement of such fact, the decal number, and the date issued.
(8) Anyone guilty of falsely certifying any facts relating to application, certificate, transfer, number, decal, duplicate, or replacement certificates or any information required under this section shall be punished as provided under this chapter.
History.—s. 1, ch. 59-399; s. 1, ch. 61-511; s. 3, ch. 63-103; s. 1, ch. 65-361; ss. 25, 35, ch. 69-106; ss. 4, 15, ch. 74-327; s. 1, ch. 80-266; s. 50, ch. 80-274; s. 4, ch. 81-100; s. 1, ch. 82-181; s. 2, ch. 83-102; s. 5, ch. 84-184; s. 2, ch. 85-287; s. 5, ch. 85-324; s. 2, ch. 88-336; s. 450, ch. 95-148; s. 50, ch. 95-333; s. 55, ch. 96-413; s. 53, ch. 99-248; s. 11, ch. 99-289; s. 49, ch. 2000-152; s. 41, ch. 2000-313; s. 26, ch. 2000-362; s. 2, ch. 2008-106; s. 23, ch. 2009-86.
Note.—Former s. 371.051; s. 327.11.

President - Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association

Like us on Facebook!

Check out my PA12 mods HERE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Of course, as the TI is actually OVER 16' at 18'6", under those regs it would have to be registered. An AI at 16 feet scrapes in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good news, the Hobie dealership in Louisville, KY said I don't need to register the AIs. Hurray! Good news since we just bought a 2011 Dune AI from St. Louis Hobie dealer. They threw in turbo fins, new rudder, % off tramps and cradles. Love them! Can't wait to get the boat here and install Kayaking Bob's sprayskirts! We need more AIs here on KY Lake!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tonystott wrote:
Of course, as the TI is actually OVER 16' at 18'6", under those regs it would have to be registered. An AI at 16 feet scrapes in.

The key word is "or" non-powered kayak. I ran into this with my hobie 16 which is actually 17' long. I asked when I registered and the lady assured me I didn't need to register it. I also noticed on the beach I used to keep my h16 no one else had the FL numbers on the haul.

This past weekend with no FL numbers i passed and waved to at least 6 marine patrol boats the never gave me a second look.