Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any suggestions on cheap anchors for Tampa bay area in Florida or the other side the gulf??
Was planning on doing some swimming or snorkeling in shallow areas far off shore but the current usually keeps on moving my TI all over the place. Found bunch of anchors on ebay, just not sure which one to get.
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try a Cooper plastic anchor. They are brilliant!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony, is that 2 lb version going to hold a TI on a sandbar in 20 mph winds?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This what we use. I keep it folded up in a gym sock when not in use.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... TGEbYy9KSM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tjcouch wrote:

I've broken two of those with AI's

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Tony, is that 2 lb version going to hold a TI on a sandbar in 20 mph winds?

NOHUHU, I haven't personally tested in those conditions, however, I have tested the anchor in sand in the shallows by leaning my 135kg heft back on a 45 degree angle trying to move the anchor and only causing the anchor to bury itself further.

I have complete confidence in its performance, with the obvious rider that the angle of the anchor line must be low for best bite (as with any anchor).

I now have 2 metres of 8mm line with a heavy galvanised swivel on the end permanently attached to the anchor. Depending on weather conditions, I can add any combinations of:-
2 metres of heavy chain
25 metres of 6mm "silver" anchor line
50 metres of 8mm "silver" anchor line
10 metres of 6mm line permanently attached to the TI cross-member via an "O" shackle at the bow fitting.

If a total of 89 metres is not enough, I won't be anchoring there! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KayakingBob wrote:
tjcouch wrote:

I've broken two of those with AI's

I rarely use them except in sand, so I'm still on my first grapnel. I'd recommend the 6 lb w 4 ft of coated chain, though.

I'd want more chain on that cooper to feel safe but I'm sure it would handle the sandbars better. Thanks Tony.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kommy000:
We do a lot of scuba diving and snorkeling off of our TI, we live in the area, and also Key West. I have tried many small anchors advertised for kayaks, and have not found any that work on a TI. Basically any type of grapple anchor, or light weight anchor that you can throw in a bag is just not good enough for the big TI, keep in mind it 3 times the size of most kayaks. Your worst nightmare would be to dive down, then when you come back up your boat has floated away (has actually happened to us, it was quite a swim to catch it).
Of course when we are on the protected coral reefs down in KW you are not allowed to use anchors at all, you must tie to the anchor balls provided.
Our main anchor is a Guardian 4 lb G7 anchor ( http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=50320). We are very happy with the anchor, we got it at West Marine it was around $80 bucks. It's the recommended anchor for boats 17 to 22 ft long.
We do a lot of spear fishing and lobster diving down around Key West, and have never had a problem. Up here we often sail out to places like Egmont key and anchor off shore to hang out with our other boater friends. You need two anchors if your planning to do something like that, our second anchor is a folding small grapple anchor (same one tjcouch has), that works fine as the second anchor, we keep that inside the hull as a backup.
Now when you talk to the guy at West Marine, he will tell you you have to have like 8 to12 ft chain (anchor rode) on the anchor or it will not work. I didn't want that huge heavy chain chopping up my boat so I didn't get it, I said I would try it out without it first. At least in my case the anchor works just fine without it. I have a 100' 3/8 anchor rope, with another 50' stored in the hull that I can add if needed. I keep the anchor line rolled up on a spool on my motor mount. I found out that 100 feet of anchor line completely fills your boat when it is just laid on the deck (that's a lot of rope), and you need an organized way to handle the rope. I could have probably got by with 5/16 rope in retrospect, but I feel safer with the 3/8 (it can get pretty rough out in the open ocean even on a nice day.)
The hanger for the anchor is just a piece of alum square tubing that swings up to store the anchor, when we are not using the anchor it's up and out of the way back behind the boat. We have a big bow sprit and tons of huge sails and rigging up in the front of the boat so it is way more convenient just to have the anchor in the back. And if you ever have to come in through a heavy beach surf (any of the beaches around here), it's easy to just deploy the anchor just outside the surf, then slowly let anchor line out until you get to shore. Then when you go back out just pull yourself back out past the surfzone (way easier than trying to control the boat by a paddle and a prayer). However if your coming in for the day you have to walk out in waist to chest high water to go get the damn anchor.
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Graphnel anchors are not good for Tampa Bay and surrounding areas as the bottom is mostly sand and mud. Any wind or current will drag the grapnel anchor. I use a 3.5 lbs graphnel anchor for fishing in/around Tampa Bay...but am now looking for a better anchor for the TI. The anchor has to be easy (isn't this why we buy a TI...simplicity) to deploy, small, and require no chain. Will keep the grapnel as a secondary anchor.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can fit a 1kg Cooper anchor through an 8" twist-n-seal hatch, and being plastic, it won't harm the hull. It bites well into sand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike, what's wrong with a chain? It's a necessary and recommended part of almost any anchoring system. It's no big deal to add. A float is a good idea too.

Re coopers, they look brilliant, but I don't think they're sold in the US, or easy to find. When I tried to hunt one down at west marine, I could not.

There are similar metal types. Mostly expensive.

If anyone has a North American retail link, please pass it on.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU wrote:
If anyone has a North American retail link, please pass it on.

http://cooperanchors.com/anchors

$49.50 shipped.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

2 for $75, with shipping. Not bad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow, cheaper than Ebay. Lowest I could find for cooper was $59.00.
Thanks for the link

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

NOHUHU,

No problem with chain...and, yes, it is recommended. I used 30' of chain with a Fortress anchor when I had my 23' sailboat. However, chain and a plastic kayak don't really mix well...it scratches. With the TI weighing only 190 lbs (versus my 4000 lb sailboat) I think you can get by without chain as long as you payout sufficient scope on the rode. I converted from a sailboat to a TI for several reasons: one of them being simplification...I really don't want to carry chain. If you really need the weight in order to laydown the rode so it pulls more laterally than horizontally, you can always add a lead sounding weight (1/2 or 1 lb) to the rode a few feet above the anchor attachment (make a loop in the rode and attach the weight). Based on this forum, I did some research on the Cooper anchor and decided to buy one to give it a try. $49.50 including shipping costs. We will see how it works but it has to be better than the graphnel.