Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Vintagereplica wrote:
oh I might inadvertently survive to lay claim to being the only AI owner to feed an AI to a Croc!

Don't try too hard for that one. I hear there are some crocks up there big enough to eat one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
That is so cool. Record No. 15 it is then Tony.

Hey Mikey. Where ya been ? Good to see you back mate.

G'day Slaughter old mate - I been walkabout doin famli stuf.. :wink:
Oh, I was also very preoccupied with preparing for a trip o Tassie on my neighbours 37ft wooden boat, where we attended the Wooden Boat Show in Hobart.
It was a great event :D and a VERY memorable journey. :o :shock:
I should write a book about it :roll:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Tony; That is a very nice photo of YOUR lake tremendous colour...better send as copy to Nohuhu, looks like you BORROWED one of his supermodels to add to subject interest! :lol:
Cheers Ian...(aka Vintagereplica)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I reckon you would probably hold the World Record for the furthest distance from the nearest dealer without a problem Vintagereplica. Anyone in Canada want to challenge ?

Really good to have you back on deck Mickey. Missed ya mate. Wish I'd have known you were in Tassy for the boat show. I was there the following week for a 2 week stint. Did you get in any AI sailing down that way ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

G'day Cowsgomoo;
We can understand and sympathise with your inactivity on the water. My AI would sit under the car port becoming a highly polished "Hanger Queen" (to steal an aviators phrase) if I had to contend with all that Sydney traffic! :roll:
Cheers Vintagereplica
If it works okay...modify it anyway!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are crocs ever an issue where you are in Darwin Vintagereplica ?

P.S. John Lewis just posted from New Caledonia that his nearest dealer is in Australia. I had a quick look on Google Earth and 'your World Record is safe'. He is only 1,500k's away.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Really good to have you back on deck Mickey. Missed ya mate. Wish I'd have known you were in Tassy for the boat show. I was there the following week for a 2 week stint. Did you get in any AI sailing down that way ?

Didn't have the AI with me on that trip and was pretty much fully occupied correcting or avoiding the skipper's (read boat owner) disasters :o :shock: :o
At 82 and being a bushy who had mucked around on boats all his life, I think he thought he knew it all. Trouble is he was incapable of steering to a compass bearing in the dark, making decisions when under pressure, didn't have any idea how his Para Anchor should be prepared and deployed, had never taken his boat out into the ocean for a shake down ( or two or three!! & despite my suggesting he do so over the previous six months), reckoned most of the equipment on his boat didn't work - basically because he didn't know/understand how to make it work correctly including the very important auto pilot!!the list goes on!! :roll:

When I got home (we ended up having to fly home after leaving the boat at Lady Barron, Flinder Isld), I had a GREAT 4 day AI camping trip out on the Gippsland lakes with my Hobie mates :D Nothing but pure pleasure :D :mrgreen:

Tassie would be a great place to explore with the AI. However I would much prefer to transport it there and use it rather than sail across Bass Strait.
To do so would require impeccable preparation and planning with lots of plan B's, C,D etc just in case good ol Murphy decided to come along too!! :( :o :shock:

It wasn't all bad by a long shot - just had its moments! Really enjoyed the experience and the wooden boat show was a fantastic event, well worth attending whether you travel by boat, plane, car or bike. As it's only held every two years the next one will be Feb 2015.

I really have a desire now to do more ocean boating - but not sure on what boat.
The boat i went on was an old deisel motor cruiser. I think I would have preferred a sailing boat.

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Phew, Thanks Slaughter...you had me worried for a moment with New caladonia, nice to know my record is safe. :o
Re the crocdiles, when-ever you go online, google ...'NT News front page'. Id be interested after a month of doing that how many days were "Croc Free".
There are always reports of croc causing mayhem. If they allowed prize trophy hunting (it has been put up to parliment with $25,000 for each animal and any byproducts - meat, skin etc given to legit croc farms) there is no way they would ever now be hunted to extinction. In the last three years there have been three sightings near my house. Look for ...42 Nemarluk Drive Ludmilla NT on google earth and you will see why... lots of mangrove swamps on the other side of the road and there are several Ranger croc traps in Ludmilla creek.
Cheers from Ian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

gotta have a fastest category!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No, too much BS already in this category. Tom's efforts were to quantify things after a spurious claim had been made. Unless formally timed over a measured distance, with zero tide, serious top speed claims are just ego strokes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd like to see Stringy's AI in full flight with it's 90 square foot of sail. Would be hard to beat.

https://vimeo.com/55756693 ( around the 1min 15sec mark )

Would he hold the world record for the most horsepower ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
I'd like to see Stringy's AI in full flight with it's 90 square foot of sail. Would be hard to beat.

Always learn something from your videos, Russ. For example, I didn't realize they let you guys keep koalas as pets down there.

http://vimeo.com/56364543

Had Angus on the boat yet? He'd be mighty cute clinging to your Hobie mast. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nah, but he is just about to star in a Beef Jerky receipt video.......thinly sliced and dried slowly with some salt and coriander.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Slaughter wrote:

hadn't seen that deflector before... impressive!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Slaughter wrote:
Nah, but he is just about to star in a Beef Jerky receipt video.......thinly sliced and dried slowly with some salt and coriander.
:twisted:

Ah so...NOW we know where Slaughter gets his sobriquet (nick-name)!
:lol: Cheers...Ian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next