Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZCN9gae ... e=youtu.be

I'll refine this a bit over the weekend, but I tried it on the water today and it works fine. No more bouncing Amas and no more chance of a worn or fatigued bungee letting go at a very bad time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

that is cool. no more pinched fingers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Brilliant. Simple. Like the idea about having longer pad eye fittings and just using those in place of screws and nuts. Hobie, are you listening?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom, what became of your original idea of fitting a collar at the bottom of the akas? This appealed to me as it only involved minor mods to the 4 caps, whereas your Mk ii involves modifying 8 fittings and making four HDPE brackets. In addition, your original idea allowed the bungees to be retained for redundancy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That would still be my choice if the Ama had a molded recess to accept such a fitting on the bottom. As it is, the rubber fitting I had wanted to use as a retainer would have slightly protruded below the bottom of the Ama, which I think might have resulted in scraping or eventual problems with the retainer.

The top mount set up could easily be fitted to retain a bungee, but I really don't see any reason to have it there. Remember, there is very little force trying to pull the Ama off the Aka arm (gravity only). The real force is "up." If the riveted collar on the Aka can withstand that, it can easily withstand the weight of the Ama in the other direction.

Of course, if my Ama comes off and I capsize and drown, then please disregard this.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now that's an interesting twist!

Now you got me thinking about maybe adapting it to use NOHUHU's double bungee setup to hold your new locking bracket on instead of using bolts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Excellent idea Tom,
thinking outside the box again.

So the nut is just epoxied into the base of the Hobie screw-in plug thing? The only issue that i can see is bolts binding up or comming loose. Maybee there is another method to hold it down?

The plastic, HDPE or something tougher? Like you said, all it has to do is stop the ama from dropping down.

The arma to aka can still rotate as normal for folding in the aka.

You might get a little bit of the black paint (coating) wearing off the arm as it rotates but that is a small price.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd try to get rid of the bungees entirely. Ideally, if you had longer versions of the plastic inserts that currently hold the bungees (or the loop style) you could just screw those through the retainer and into the Amas. Like a thumbscrew.

As I've said before, there isn't much force trying to pull the Amas down off the Akas. Just gravity. It really doesn't take much to keep them on.

As far the screws and nuts, I'm using nylon lock nuts, they won't come loose. I have one other idea to make this assembly more simple but need to try it before I report on it.

Yes, the Amas are still free to move and fold as usual.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Of course, if my Ama comes off and I capsize and drown, then please disregard this.
Nice disclaimer! :D

I find this interesting, but I wonder if the screws are the best idea. Beach sand, sea salt, all kinds of things have me wondering about what happens if the threading wears, or gets cross threaded due to user error. The boat would then become inoperable.

I'm not trying to discount the idea, because like I said, I find it interesting. The question becomes is it better to redesign the system, or just to keep an eye on the bungees and replace them every few years.

Keep innovating! It's great to see!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tony just a thought on retainer screws and nuts what about using nylon bungs that we use in the outriggers already just purchase extra bungs, if possible tap a thread in the bungie holders that can be tightened and removed by hand i like the idea well done.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I meant tom, fingers not responding sorry tom.
Rob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are many ways to fasten the retainer to the plugs. My first goal was to get a working retainer made. Screws and nuts were a simple means for attaching them. I never take my Amas off, so I wouldn't run into any problems.

However, with the goal of making things as simple as possible, I already have another idea in mind for attaching the retainer. I'll have something ready this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:
There are many ways to fasten the retainer to the plugs. My first goal was to get a working retainer made. Screws and nuts were a simple means for attaching them. I never take my Amas off, so I wouldn't run into any problems.

However, with the goal of making things as simple as possible, I already have another idea in mind for attaching the retainer. I'll have something ready this weekend.

Awesome, Tom.

Looking forward to it because of my trailer configuration I remove the amas every trip. I like this method better than bungees. Agreed both structurally sound provided the bungees or plastic blank are both serviceable. The big win here is ditching the most annoying ama slap in choppy conditions.

President - Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association

Like us on Facebook!

Check out my PA12 mods HERE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It was the slap and bounce in rough waters that convinced me to do this.