Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am about to purchase either a brand new 2011 Tandem Island from a local dealer for $4000 or a brand new 2012 model Tandem Island for $4300 from another dealer an hour away.

Do you Tandem owners think these are good prices and would the 2012 model be worth $300 more?

thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think I would go for the 2012 for an extra $300. There were some improvements plus its a year newer from a resale stand point.

I also think both prices are great, especially if they are brand new boats.

Good luck! Either way, sounds like you are about to buy a TI!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Totally.

Spread the wealth, Jeff. I'd buy the 2012 but purchase all your pricey accessories, carts, PFD's etc from the local guy. They will be more receptive to providing advice, upgrade help and warranty issues.

When everyone comes over to gawk at your awesome new ride, tell them about whichever dealer treated you best. Hopefully, it's the one nearby. He'll appreciate that you did this.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the advice guys. Just got back with my brand new 2012 TI :) I ended up getting the newer one even though is was Dune colored which wasn't my favorite choice for visibility reasons. It was brand new and still all wrapped up so it still looks great. I really liked the 2011 red hibiscus but when we opened up the box a rat ran out and had left a nice gift of babies in the box with some of the soft parts chewed up. I bought it from Pack and Paddle in Lafayette Louisiana and they are a great place to deal with. Both Nate and the owner John are great people so overall I am very pleased and excited to get this thing out on the water soon.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is the price for real? 4300?! Here in Sweden I have to pay twice as much for a TI. And there is no price competition in Europe, as far as I have seen. The prices are equally high in all European countries, which certainly is a decision made by Hobie.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here you can get an idea about the prices in Sweden: http://www.hobieshop.se/produkter/tande ... -demo.html

This is a three year old demo ex, for which the Swedish Hobie dealer want 49.900 kr, which right now is 7630 dollar. A three year old demo ex from 2010... And it´s not even boat season. Winter is soon here.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie crafte:
My best friend lives in Sweden, and I have been there many time ( beautiful place, where an AI/TI would be very fun).
I think used prices everywhere are supply and demand. The used(demo) price this guy got is extremely unusual even here. A new TI in us is around $5500, and the price does not vary at all.
Here you can typically get a used TI 1-2 yrs old for around 80% to 90% of new price but many accessories ( ie... Tramps, carts, etc) are typically included with the used boats, which makes buying used very worthwhile. Since 2011 Hobies manufacturing has gotten very reliable, and on any post 2011 boat I wouldn't be too worried if the 2 yr factory warranty has expired. That 2010 you listed if being sold as new from dealer should come with the 2 yr warranty. Of course I don't know the circumstances of this particular boat.
I don't think the prices are much under Hobies control ( especially used). I believe Sweden charges a 25% vat on imports ( including taxes and shipping costs). Plus the exchange rate is not so hot right now. If you check the price for a new laser in Sweden it should be comparable to a new TI ( they are similar priced here).
Look at it this way, at least the boat was not made in China, in those situations Sweden has it right and charges a 75% vat tax on stuff from china ( the correct way to do it, I wish we did that but our unfair ( incredibly stupid ) political system prevent this)
I believe china charges a 300% vat on items like boats and cars, my opinion is we should be doing the same in kind, but it's very difficult with all of our politicians in their pockets. So in truth you don't have it bad, at least your manufacturing economy was not destroyed completely.
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

just as a point of info - I just missed on a very lightly used 2012 TI with tramps and $500 cart for $3800

... Yea, Im a bit pissed I missed it :evil:

It was offered to me first, I snoozed for a day and it was Gone!!

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV