Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So my sister and I decided to do a 3-5 day TI river camping trip this upcoming year. I was looking and there maybe sections where the amas maybe to wide to go down a few river sections we are considering.
So I am curious if anyone has ever tried pedaling their TI with the amas folded in and mast down? Is it hard to control? Is there risk of damage to the amas or akas with them folded in?
I'm considering just taking it without the amas; however, I don't want to lose the sailing option or space on the amas either.
Boat is put away for the winter already, but if anyone has any experience or opinions it would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

No problem at all pedalling with the amas/akas tucked in, just don't try and sail that way - you could get away with the sail just furled completely in, you shouldn't have to take it completely down.

The kayak is actually very stable with the amas/akas tucked in, more so than without them at all. It will obviously just be a little wider than without them.

Potential down side is that if the creeks are REALLY tight, then as well as being narrow they might be too shallow for the miragedrives, in which case you'll need the paddles. Paddling then become difficult with folded-in amas/akas...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

forsythem wrote:
No problem at all pedalling with the amas/akas tucked in, just don't try and sail that way - you could get away with the sail just furled completely in, you shouldn't have to take it completely down.

The kayak is actually very stable with the amas/akas tucked in, more so than without them at all. It will obviously just be a little wider than without them.

Potential down side is that if the creeks are REALLY tight, then as well as being narrow they might be too shallow for the miragedrives, in which case you'll need the paddles. Paddling then become difficult with folded-in amas/akas...

Awesome! Thank you for response! Being able to leave the sail up with them folded in sounds like a plus if it is for a short distance. I wouldn't try to sail, sounds like asking for trouble!

I didn't think about being more of a challenge to paddle it, thank you for bringing that up! I will have to take that into consideration depending on the seasons.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

CptVanquish wrote:
forsythem wrote:

Awesome! Thank you for response! Being able to leave the sail up with them folded in sounds like a plus if it is for a short distance. I wouldn't try to sail, sounds like asking for trouble!

I didn't think about being more of a challenge to paddle it, thank you for bringing that up! I will have to take that into consideration depending on the seasons.

Of course, you won't be able to fold them in with tramps deployed.