Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Kingquad7686 wrote:
I don't usually participate in forums but I am a long time reader for years and have learned a lot from this forum. I currently have one yellow Island and my new to me Red Tandem Island which is work in progress.

I purchased a Tandem Island demo boat from St. Louis Sail and Paddle in MO unseen....

... I am looking forward to getting it on the water but so far its turning out to be a lot more TLC than I thought!!!!!

A little more information: We also bought a "demo" (used) red TI from St. Louis Sail and Paddle for $3499; this was about 16 months ago. We live nearby so our purchase was not sight unseen. At that time there were two available on the showroom floor. Both were scuffed up and showed signs of wear. Apparently they were used in some kind of marathon river race, and perhaps one of them is the TI in the YouTube Videos at Creve Coeur Lake http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWIGPa0-YHk [Cyril Narishkin is one of the owners of STL Sail and Paddle.]

Thing is, the salesperson and I went over the two boats, cherry picking the best stuff - seats, paddles, sail, mirage drives, etc. I can't say if the one you bought is the same one we picked from, but who knows.

On the positive side, STL Sail and Paddle asked for a week to clean up 'our' boat and fabricate a trailer for us. That was fine; when we returned the boat was ready to go. Yes, the hull and amas still were (and still are) scuffed up - it's a used boat. I mention this only to say that they can do better. At the same time, though, if yours is the second TI that I saw over a year ago, well, it's just dumb of them not to have cleaned it up, made repairs, and had it ready to go.

I'll be curious to learn what resolution they offer you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

They let me swap the front toggle handle off a new yellow Hobie kayak because concerned on long drive the old one may not make the trip and I wanted to attached to the front of boat for extra safety. So whoever buys that new yellow Hobie Kayak you have an old worn out front toggle handle that has been retied so just swap it with another Hobie and pass on the headache. I am sure if there was another used tandem boat they would probably let me cherry pick the best parts also but it looks like you beat me to the boats.

Matt or other Hobie employees do you want me to mail you the old drain plug? I did clean the threads up but you may be amazed. I purchased a new drain plug from Austin Kayak.

It looks like rear akas shear bolts almost sheared off also and just barely hanging on by a thread but they are cheap parts and easy fix. The front ama is falling off and needs new bungee cord or adjusted.

It was an extra 17 bucks to have title made up in my mom's name and then have her dropped off title with just my name. She was a little upset I had to coordinate getting her to title office with me for this process.

It looks like I need to fix a few akas that have a lot of play with rivets but I just don't have the free time yet. I picked up a Seadoo 150 trailer I am converting for tandem island. I hope to be able to toss boat as kayak out on small lake to see if I get any issues and check controls and hope it floats. I ran out of time to work on this boat since trying to work full time job and another 40-60 hours a week on house repair in trying to get house ready for market.

I picked up a new digital camera Nikon Coolpix S3300 awhile back but having difficulty getting pictures uploaded on computer. It could be a computer issue its been hit now with 2 or 3 lightning storms and repaired but still a quirky at times. I thought I would have better pictures but many were too much blur. I will have to play with camera. It looks like computer has multiple fried ports from last storm.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Last edited by Kingquad7686 on Sat May 11, 2013 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well boat does float so that is good. I took it out as a kayak yesterday. It looks like I get most of water coming in from 3 hatch lids and its a lot of water coming in all 3 hatches and just a little water coming in mast area when boat sat on trailer during rainy day. I ended up yanking drain plug and tilting boat up and soaking rest up with rags. Most of big puddles of water was under all 3 hatch lids. I don't think any water is coming in from other areas.

I have more parts coming in from Austin Kayak or parts I have swapped off my other island to get this thing on water. Boat has turned out decent and has new life again. Dealership owner was very apologetic for condition of boat and will be shipping out red plastic to color match bottom repair of hull along with new Xbar. This was my first experience of having that much work to do on an Island since my other one has only had one plastic failure in an ama. I was able to handle all the task due to my experience over the years growing up on a lake and doing repairs on our power boats, sailboats and my old hobby of scratch building and shaping wood over foam large fast r/c nitro tunnel hulls to fiberglass hydroplanes. I guess the real test of my work will be when my friend visits from Washington that does custom marine carpentry work on sailboats and boat repair. He has been wanting to take a spin on my Islands.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Your not the only one. I too started with a disaster, so I can appreciate what you had to deal with. Mine needed many of the same repairs as yours. Now many repairs, replacements, and mods later, it works just as good, and in some ways, better then new.