Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It would be nice to have a jib to use along with the main in light airs. I'd love to have a jib option and have thought about building one of my own. But one of the things that makes the Island series kayaks so nice and quick to set up tends to work against it in heavy air if you pile on too much sail - the unstayed mast.

As it is, both Island kayaks are quite capable of putting a heavy bend in the low modulus carbon mast in strong wind. Put on a jib and now the situation becomes even worse in terms of mast flex, stress on the hull and mast support structure.

Yes, you can stiffen the mast in at least two ways (same material, larger diameter, or same diameter, higher modulus material) but either way you’re going to end up with a lot more stress on the mast support parts on the hull. Those would need a complete redesign to accommodate a larger sail plan.

I really enjoy my Islands and understand the desires and wishes of fellow Island owners here on the forum - I share many of them. But my gut feeling it that few of us here really represent the mainstream Island owner - the guy who isn’t likely to be quite as “hard core” as those of us who take the time to participate here. The current Island, at the current price point, is probably working in Hobie’s favor as is. A redesign that resulted in a higher price point might not bother us, but it would likely result in an overall reduction in sales across the board. Sure, the performance stuff can be sold as accessories, but the instant you start talking about adding more sail area, the boat is going to require a costly redesign and retooling to handle such a thing.

Remember, the TI was originally intended to have an optional jib accessory - The tab to attach it is already on the current main sail. my guess is that Hobie found it put too much stress on the related components to move forward with it as is.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim Quinlan, aka CaptnChaos, has a very nice jib setup on his AI. He deploys it regularly. Here Jim is out for a sail.

On a recent camping trip, he & Don Haynes used their AIs to bring in wood for a campfire. This is Jim.

Jim will speak for himself, but he seems to be quite pleased with his jib. He certainly put the rest of us shame, speed wise. Well, my wife, Nancy, on her AI gave him a run for his money. Maybe he was just being nice.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes the jib setup on an AI multiplies the fun factor exponentially. However I agree with Tom in that it's not something the typical AI/TI sailor would be willing to pay for.

My system is designed around hakas to cleat the jib sheet. I can fly the jib without hakas (with backup cleating system on the hull) but not nearly as efficient. The hakas, the custom aluminum bearing mast topper and the aluminum bow frame with furler (and spray skirts) would be fairly expensive add ons for Hobie to produce and support with the dealers. Add the sail and it greatly increases the price of the boat ... almost double.

Hobie tried to make an inexpensive jib system for the TI but I thought there were some pretty big flaws with that system. Number one is I don't think the Hobie TI system could furl the main with their jib deployed. That seems somewhat dangerous/limiting and I'm guessing their lawyers might agree. My system allows main and jib to both furl and reef in seconds.

Just wish I had a TI to adapt my system to. I've spent many hours flying the jib often in extreme conditions with no problems so far. I'm working on a rear stay system now.

Just wish I had a TI to adapt the system to.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

By the sounds of things nobody really wants to do anything additional to the current Tandem design with a preference to wait for Hobie to come out with a totally new design (which they could be working on). Why keep on beating a dead horse.
Of course I'm not going to stop using my boat, I still love to take it out nearly every weekend and use the heck out of it. I'm perfectly satisfied with what I now have (with my tweaks) and it all has worked very well for me personally over the last 3 yrs. In the mean time I am holding my breath waiting for Hobies new Super TI or whatever name they give it.
Bob