Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice job Stephanie! Looks great. Do you have any pictures showing the white cushions with the sail deployed? Would love to see that view.

Changes the whole ride dosen't it? Not only can you easily move back and forth to balance the boat but the comfort of those rubber coated cushions can't be beat.

One thing I noticed after a while was that the quarterbackdeck sits ever so lightly tilted back and I found it hard on my back after 6 hours on the water. You can solve that by buying a $50 heat gun used to remove paint. You carefully heat and then slightly bend the PVC where the supports enter the rod holders to level the quaterdeck.
Makes it even better.

Now wait till you make the back support. Talk about comfort...

Vetgam

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stephanie, I can't tell if you've turned your steering handle out 90 degees or not yet. If not, doing so makes steering with a tiller arm from the quarterdeck effortless. It can be done by removing the screw on top of the handle with a hex wrench, lift the handle up (nothing falls apart) rotate it 90 degrees so the handle faces out towards the ama when the rudder is straight and the replace the screw. Now instead of fighting to pull the steering arm right or left, you just push forward or back which thakes less effort when siting back on the quarterdeck.

Even those siting in the cockpit without a tiller arm will find this makes steering easier. Try it one and I promise you won't change back.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Vetgam!

Below is a photo of the quarterdeck with the sails deployed, but it can't be seen very well because it's predominantly covered up by me and the dogs! I'll take a photo of just the boat and sail when we head out next. Thank you so much for the recommendation on rotating the original steering handle by 90 degrees! This was the first time I had the boat out with the bench and the tiller extension, and the slightly awkward steering at times was my one and only thing I was interested in adjusting/improving. I'll definitely do this for the next trip to the lake! You can even see in the photo that I was actually using my toes to help move the original steering handle so as to not risk tweaking the original handle the wrong way and accidentally breaking it. LOVE the recommendation on how to fix it - thank you! :D

Stephanie

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204141812041875&set=gm.621992181236327&type=1&theater

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Those white cushions really look the part. I may just spring for some new white ones.

Vetgam

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone think this exact design would work on the 2015 AI?
Looking at the overview pic on Hobie's website it looks like the
seat is sitting pretty flush with the aka support bar.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My AI is a 2012. I believe that Hobie changed the diameter of the rod holders when the reinforced them a few years back so you will need to check and make sure that they hold 1.25 in PVC pipe.

On the 2012, the quarterdeck overhangs the front of the rear aka brace by 4 inches. From the center of the rodholder to the front of the quarterdeck is 12 inches. The 2012 rod holders are 18.5 in from center to center. If these numbers work with the 2015, then you should be good. Make sure your reclined chair would not be interfered with.

Vetgam

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Vetgam,

Thanks for the reply. I will be picking up a 2015 AI soon and this will be the first mod I want to do. I appreciate the detailed
description on the construction. Such a great idea!! I can't wait to get on the water!

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mojodiver, I went by our local yak shack and looked at the 2015 AI as well as talking some measurments. The quarterdeck as I built it would interfer with the new AI seat. It would override the aka brace by 4 in vs the 2 in that is available (assuming you don't lean back in the chair. The other problem is that, as much as I like the new seat, you will not want to be climbing back an forth over that ridged hurdle to get to the quarterdeck. This will drive you nust in short order.

You could redesign it into a U-shape or simply enjoy the fact that you have a versitile, comfortable seat and forget the quarterdeck. Although I love the quarterdeck, about 2/3 of the time I ride in the cockpit because I like that lower, on-the-water ride. Tony Scott said it best when he described it as a go-cart on the water. The quaterdeck makes for a relaxed ride but the real excitment is in the cockpit.

Vetgam

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Vetgam,

Yea the new AI seat sits up pretty high. Do you think it would be possible to modify the design to shift it back a few more inches? I guess I could do a U shaped design.
I like the versatility of having optional seating and not that concerned about having to climb over the seat.

Thanks again for the help!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think I would try to modify the 2015 seat or it's attachment points.. Maybe you could replace the seat with a "soft seat" modification to use when using the quarterdeck. Then the original quarterdeck design would probably work.

Vetgam

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis