Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I'm new to the forums. I wanted to see if you guys can fill me in on what the major differences are between 2011 and 2013 tandem island.
I am potentially buying a second hand 2011 tandem island. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tuy3n wrote:
Hi, I'm new to the forums. I wanted to see if you guys can fill me in on what the major differences are between 2011 and 2013 tandem island.
I am potentially buying a second hand 2011 tandem island. Thanks.

I would say that the primary difference is the rudder assembly. The 2010 and 2011 TIs came with a 'twist and stow' rudder system that proved to have a number of problems. Hobie redesigned the rudder, and made it available to everyone at no cost. It is likely that a 2011 will have had the upgrade installed already, but it is worth checking. If not, you'll need to get the new rudder system, perhaps through a Hobie dealer, and install it per the video instructions here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLNdFtJkR8Y

There may be other differences, as in the design of the seat pegs, but I reckon they are minor.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Other minor changes are reinforced scupper holes (for scupper cart use) and double welded front aka xbar. Also, aka knuckles are now epoxied as well as riveted. Any others we missed?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The rudder gudgeon is redesigned as well. The 2013 now has 3 huge bolts attaching the gudgeon to the back of the kayak. I had the gudgeon break on my 2010 model and was a primary reason I upgraded to the 2013 model.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and bought it, got an amazing deal on it. It looks practically brand new.
Me and my wife are going to take it out this weekend, we have no experience sailing. Wish us luck. :D

How can you tell if the xbar is double welded? :?:

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tuy3n wrote:
Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and bought it, got an amazing deal on it. It looks practically brand new.
Me and my wife are going to take it out this weekend, we have no experience sailing. Wish us luck. :D

How can you tell if the xbar is double welded? :?:

The bracket that holds all the little balls is welded at the front and back of the xbar. It actually protrudes slightly on the back side, if it doesn't, you have the older version. If you have the older version, wait till a crack starts forming and submit a warranty claim.

J

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just noticed another running change by Hobie according to the latest stock at my dealer. The TI rudder pin has now changed in two ways:-
* The up and down lines now pass through a side opening rather than through a "rifle sight" opening in the top, and
* There is no longer a hole in the bottom, but a slot.

I do not like this variation at all, as I believe the original "rifle sight" top served to retain the pin very well, and I am not so sure the side entry will do the same. Similarly, the loss of a hole at the bottom prevents the use of an "O" ring or similar (I filed mine out to fit a small zip-tie as a more convenient alternative). This would seem to make travelling with the TI inverted potentially a way of losing pins.

The part number is unchanged BTW

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not positive, but what you describe sounds like a (short run) older style pin. I have a couple for the old original TI twist'n'go rudder. Check the length as the ones I have are shorter length than the new rudder pins.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As usual Bob, you were spot on! The dealer had ordered in a few of the pins for the twist-n-stow rudders on early TIs, and because the part number is the same (what were you thinking Hobie?) both types were hanging from the same spike in the Hobie display at the dealers. Trap for newbies, make sure you select the right pin!

Back to sleep :D

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Of the ones I've seen, the long sail batten is now 5/16th's. in dia. Prior to this (ie. my 2010 TI) were 1/4".

2014 Tandem Island