Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2011 Tandem Island and I notice when I look at many of the pictures on here of other Islands, their rudder is pulled vertical in the up position. When I pull mine up is lays flat agains the stern of the boat. Did Hobie change the rudder mechanism at some point to lift them straight up? Thanks. Dom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you were a registered owner you should have got a new rudder system in the mail back in 2011. It's been a long time since Hobie replaced the rudder system. You might be able to inquire at your dealer to see if they are still available. If your happy with your current rudder, no reason to change, the new and old rudder are the same size, the only change is the way the rudder locks down, with the old twist and stow rudder some people had difficulty with the rudder staying down when sailing in heavy conditions (not everyone). The down side to the new design is you might break a few more rudder pins if you accidentally bump the bottom. Also with the new rudder if you forget to release the latch when you come to shore, something will break (usually the rudder pin).
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You own the boat; you should be able to get the new rudder--free. If your dealer won't supply it to you or get Hobie to send it to you, contact Hobie directly. You can register your boat on line at the Hobie site http://www.hobiecat.com/product-registration/. You will need the s/n number on the starboard side of the stern. As fusioneng says, the new vertical rudder came out in 2011 and registered users received the new rudder free.

Personally, I think the new, vertical rudder is a huge improvement over the "Rube Goldberg" Twist-n-Stow rudder. The vertical rudder is significantly larger than the old T-n-S, at least it was on my 2011 AI. Rick Parks and I measured the difference in size on a camping trip to Tiger Key--you can read about it here and see the difference in the trip report on this page http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=180

Regarding breaking the rudder shear pin, I don't see any difference between the new and the old. If you come ashore, without releasing the rudder so it can kick up, the shear pin will break--new vertical rudder or old T-n-S. I love the new (2011) vertical rudder. For me, it was a blessing (sent from Hobie.)

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon