Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As fusioneng said. dive flags are strictly for divers only, but I reckon a Hi-vis orange or yellow flag will be more visible anyway.

I have a halyard on my TI mast, with an endless loop through small pulleys top and bottom. I use this to haul a 360 degree white light to the masthead, which makes me legal at night around here (red & green nav lights are a negative because (a) they are so close to the water, and more importantly (b) they could give another vessel a false idea of how quickly you can monouver).

However, my halyard only functions when the sail is unfurled (once the light is raised I can then furl the sail). If you were to attach a flag to a halyard, it would need to get raised higher than the top of the sail to clear the furled sail.

Personally, I just don't think it is worth the effort, given that your sail is enormous compared to any flag, and it is it flapping in the breeze it is sure to be noticed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is Dogslife & his tricked out boat. His flagpole seems to be fitted with a spongy material on the base which lets him fit the pole base into one of the scupper holes. He switched it easily between the holes. At the WaterTribe Everglades Challenge race last March, Dogs started the race with the flag up, but I don't know if he generally had it displayed. I suspect the flagpole is for his video camera--he is an avid videographer.

Here is a picture of WaterTribe's Chief's boat with a Hobie light with a small flag displayed. He is using a rod holder for his flagpole--it is not a tight fit, so easily moved & removed. I suspect the light is the primary purpose of the flagpole.

Most AI/TIs at that EC2013 race did not deploy a flag.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the pix! Amazing how much gear you can carry on a TI.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Moondancer--those pictures are of AIs. Yes, an AI can carry a bunch of stuff. A TI can carry more, often to the detriment of their users. Keep stuff to a minimum when camping (because you will always have more than you need.) The pictures are of WaterTribers about to embark on a 300 mi, self-supported race along the Florida SE coast. They pack accordingly.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon