All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Small Trimarans
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

General pricing on Weta vs Windrider?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think the Weta is a little more. $14,000 or so. Haven't looked at Windrider pricing lately. I think it's a bit less.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yep $9500 for the WR. Looks like a ton of fun. The WR looks very comfortable. The Weta is a racer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For cruising or traveling, I'd take the Windrider.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are tons of both type boats (Windriders and Weta's) around here, both are really nice boats. every October they have the Buzzelli Multihull rendezvous here in Sarasota ( http://buzzellimr.com/), last year I swear there were at least 15 or 20 windriders, and at least half a dozen Weta's at the event. I usually talk to some of the people attending and they all just love their boats. Either is a good choice.
If we could get enough AI/TI's together, they have told us they would setup a class for us at that event. I'm typically the only TI out there in Sarasota bay every year (that's where I typically launch from (next to the Sarasota Sailing Squadron)).
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I did find this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luvzt_4vzmQ

If they were still in production, or had ever been in production, I probably would have bought one. Ended up getting a Weta.

If Hobie took a look at this, made it a little longer, incorporated the Mirage Drive for versatility and emergency power, they'd own this emerging market.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom,

I used to own a Weta. You are well aware of its potential uses and how it does not match up to a TI in versatility, so I won't go there.

However, talk about fun packed into a small light weight craft, it is difficult to top. Solo sailing, with the screacher, jib and main all drawing well is more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Makes you wish you had a third arm, unless you are one of those that holds a sheet in your teeth!

If I could have more than one boat I would not have sold the Weta to make room for the TI.

Some people say set-up of the Weta is too involved or takes too much time. I don't know, I did not think so.

Two features of the Weta I did not like is how the center board kicked up (or in some cases did not kick up). Makes a hell of a brake when it does not slide up the trunk when the water goes skinny. The second thing is, I used to like to put a little distance between me and the launch point. On two occasions a strong squall caught me out. There was no practical way to furl the main and keep going. In very strong winds you have to strike the sail entirely. Also, it is difficult (while the wind is howling around you) to stow the fully battoned laminated main so that it does not get in the way. If you try to sail under full main during a squall be very careful you do not turn turtle if the water is less than about 20 feet deep. Very expensive, don't ask me how I know.

Oh, also the boat is aptly named, the ride is very wet, however that makes it more fun really.

Have fun, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom:
Nice choice on the Weta, if I could afford one I would think about adding one to my fleet.
Whatever you do, don't put giant beach wheels on the launch cart. I had to kind of save a guy and his kid the other day while they were trying to launch. The kid was about 8, and was helping his dad by holding the boat, I had just came in and was talking to them and watching them. The dad couldn't get the boat off the launch cart because the giant balloon tires had too much flotation. It was very windy and they kept going out further and further, with the cart stuck under the boat, and all his sails half installed flapping all over in the high winds blowing them offshore. The boy was a trooper helping his dad, but the water was now way over his head and you could see he was in trouble, not wanting to let his dad down still trying to hold the boat by the bowline. I swam out and offered to help, we pulled the boat back to shore, I helped dad get the boat off the launch cart, I suggested he fill the giant ballon tire 1/3 full with slime so they aren't so buoyant and helped his son hold the boat while he finished rigging. Disaster averted, hopefully they had a great father and son outing. I saw and talked to the local Weta dealer a short time later ( we talk a lot) and he said he doesn't recommend that setup. Those tires were bigger than I have ever seen, the cart did roll very easily, but not practical if you can't get the Weta off it.
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Tom - you have an itch there and I think the WETA will go a long way to scratching it :) It's quite likely that Hobie's strategy is to bring people into sailing through the Island series and for those who want more then guide them to the cats. I do agree that a performance trimaran from Hobie would likely scratch that itch for many who want more. Hobie has all the sailing pedigree to make a strong competitor to the Weta.

Have fun with it Tom !

Barry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree wholeheartedly. I think the Islands are perfect for the niche they serve. Wouldn't want to see them go through any major changes. They've certainly done well by me on many counts.

But there could be an emerging market for an additional small performance oriented sailing trimaran that Hobie could fill perhaps better than anyone else.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Corsair F-31, and have been looking for a day sailor trimaran for years. I want to be able to take another couple for a comfortable ride. I think I finally found it. It's the Searail19. I'll sail it in July, 2014.
If it sails as well as it looks, I'll buy it then.
Hans

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've heard good things about that boat. They recently enlarged the amas a bit and it is definitely trailerable. I've been keeping my eye on them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That looks awesome, like a scaled down 60 footer French tri.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

$30K with trailer. And you'll really need one. Plus a motor. :roll:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfaWjO_dFUE[/youtube]

How about a nice car-topable rocket you can grab by the sprit and lift on the beach with one hand?

Helluva lot easier to right too, I would guess.

Did I mention it comes with 3 sails, tramps AND Hakas?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Ninja Spider never went into production. Only two were built. They, and the plans, molds, etc., are currently for sale by the designer.