Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

YES PLEASE!

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

IT"S TIME!!!! 24 hr countdown has begun to the Americas Cup AC35 in Bermuda. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

https://www.americascup.com

This time, the new 15meter flying cats should be Uber-fast, more maneuverable and manageable. Expect to see them on the foils most of the time, including gybes and tacks. The sailing and design teams are all bulging with talent and competitive ideas. Should be simply incredible.

This is a great site to get your feet wet regarding the race and to follow video highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mobydk2

Gonna try to watch it live this time.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just a little aside here..... Have you noticed how many teams are loaded with helm/tactic/CEO sailors from down under? A lot of talent obviously was unleashed once they loosened the nationality restrictions. Just sayin' :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brilliant race by the Kiwis today. First to achieve 100% FLY TIME on the foils the whole race. And sending France home at the same time. Awesome sailing action!! Speeds reaching 50 mph.

Folks in the US can stream the races live/ on Demand here: http://www.nbcsports.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Did you see Land Rover/BAR get a six foot gash in one hull during pre-start, and yet complete the race without getting the hull in the water! As soon as they stopped, they had to bail like crazy to avoid sinking!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Watching Olympic quality athletes fighting mercilessly on $10 million flying carbon fiber spaceships, playing chicken w/ each other at 75 mph closing speeds, while dancing on foils 95% of the time is just what I waited 4 yrs to see.

Apparently Tony, you and I are the only ones who give a Hill of Spit about it. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

NOHUHU wrote:
Watching Olympic quality athletes fighting mercilessly on $10 million flying carbon fiber spaceships, playing chicken w/ each other at 75 mph closing speeds, while dancing on foils 95% of the time is just what I waited 4 yrs to see.

Apparently Tony, you and I are the only ones who give a Hill of Spit about it. 8)

Nohuhu
One Ainslie fan here. NZL looking very strong to be the challenger. But i watch in hope that Ben will get it together in time. Maybe someone will make him "angry" just in time. ;)
GO LR BAR. :)

https://youtu.be/hDPoq79bFhQ

Last edited by Pottsy on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Top speed recorded to date I believe is a smidgeon under 43 knots! That is 49.5mph or 79.6kmh! That is fast! The crew pedal or grind the whole time, to build up hydraulic pressure, which is in turn used to change the foil heights, rudder/elevator incidence (up to 5 degrees variation permitted), and adjust the wing mast. Technology plus.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pottsy, hope and anger are not strategies. :lol: But Ainslie and his crew, I am told, have more combined experience than any team and that counts in a long series, if they can stay in it.

SB seems to be a brilliant starter (good strategy) but weak in a dogfight, where unforced errors or lower boat speed tend to cost him the leads. The stunning loss to France in RR1 was a perfect example.

It seemed to me that Sir Ben's temper is what gets the best of him. Lots of stress on that boat. He was quick to take it out on his crew, when things go south. Contrast that with the US, Japan and NZL skippers, who focus cooly in a mess, encourage their boys and are quick to say "My Bad". Please correct me if I am off the mark.

After seeing the 2013 races, I'm a firm believer that ANYTHING can happen in the Cup. To get there, GBR just needs to tweak their boat and their disposition a bit. And squeeze past New Zealand. :wink: Stranger things have happened. Right?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yup - anything can happen! Wild 20+ knot winds today caused havoc. The Kiwis had to swap out the entire wing sail just before the first race. Boats were shedding parts in the first few races, reaching 45 knot speeds and flying on edge through several squalls. At these speeds, the boats get a mind of their own. Artemis was unable to gybe at the boundary at one point. Sharp carbon fiber shrapnel was flying all over the place.

It all climaxed in the final race when Team NZ flew too high at the start and did an epic pitchpole.

The crew lived, but the boat and sail are tattered. The damage looks extensive and expensive. The outlook for GBR may have just shifted.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Holy moly. I missed all the excitement. ;)
I hope everyone is ok. Looks like NZ will be working into the night to get ready for first race tomorrow.
Looked like they were running away with it until that capsize.
Exciting stuff. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow!!!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know what others are getting, but here in Miami, FL, we get essentially nothing on TV or newspaper about America's Cup action.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The playoff races will be broadcast this weekend on the NBCSPORTS channel on cable. And the final match races on weekends starting the 17th-27th

Folks in the US can stream the races live/on Demand every scheduled day here: http://www.nbcsports.com

You just need to log on with your broadband provider credentials.

Todays races were abandoned due to high winds. Giving time for Team NZ's stitches to heal,... :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next