Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I never got around to following so many peoples advice to stick a piece of pool noodle into the mast cup during transport. Failure to do so finally caught up to me after around 60 outings.

The balls decided to start falling out on a road trip rather than at the nearby bay where I normally go out. 60 MPH down the freeway when it happened. I had a sick feeling when I saw them missing knowing the mission was over :( Much to my amazement, each and every ball was inside the cup!!! Better yet, the Mrs.'s was able to retrieve them by hand. Mission saved!

I did the remove the plates thing and sand advised in a couple posts twice (didn't have any decent sand paper) with less than acceptable results. They seemed OK but when I hit them with a leaf blower (use it to blow water out of t&s hatches and seat connector holes after rinsing) they flew out again. Again, all that came out managed to go into the cup!

Anyway, after looking at the plates I agree that enough sanding in the right spots should get them to work again. However, I think the actual problem is that the lip of the bearing race has worn down. So rather than spending $10 on gas to go get more sandpaper and spend even more time fooling with them I just ordered two new bearing plates (part #795330010) @ $9.29 each. Put them on and the bearings didn't came out hitting them with a spray hose and the leaf blower. problem solved.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Herbaldew wrote:
... Much to my amazement, each and every ball was inside the cup!!!

...but when I hit them with a leaf blower they flew out again. Again, all that came out managed to go into the cup!

Thems sum Magic Balls you gotst there Mister :mrgreen: :wink:

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The pool noodle I bought for $5 got cut up, and I gave small pieces to everyone who asked in my local Island Club.

I had bought a new set of balls, and keep the old ones onboard (although the old ones had not got smaller, so I think your replacement of the plates was a good move).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Oh, I got a good deal I guess, mine was only $1.99 :)

I bought a new set of balls too and put the old ones in my onboard toolkit. My noodle chunk has already taken off in the wind during launch ceremonies twice, once from inside the tow vehicle lol. I will probably not bother with the noodle any longer after it's inevitable loss. If I make another 60 outings on these bearing plates before any loss, I'll just use my spares for that trip and order two more plates when I get home.

Moral of the story ... use the noodle or keep spares to avoid a ruined outing!