Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi all,

Just wondering how other A.I. jockeys attach their anchor (assuming they ever use one) to their A.I.?

I don't think an anchor trolley is worth installing, as it's just more lines to get in the way. Perhaps tying
off on one of the crossbars would be the go? I'm not sure...

The A.I. is stable and easy to move around on, so getting front and aft isn't really an issue.

Looking for suggestions and comments from those who've been there... :-)

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I picked up all this here on the forum, sorry I cannot remember who was the originator.Here is how I set mine up.

Fit a shackle off the bow fitting. The anchor line passes through this. The bitter end is securely tied to the front crossbar, and the looped line sits on the foredeck under the bungees (so I can lean forward to get it and connect the rest of the anchor gear when about to drop anchor).
Attach a cleat on the footwall of the cockpit. Attach a retrieve line to this cleat, about 50cm longer than the distance to the bow, and tie a S/S "O" ring shackle on its end, with the anchor line passing through it >past< the bow fitting. The idea is that you can pull this line in and retrieve the anchor from in front of the bow. (The cleat is not used to take any anchoring loads).

This system is for conventional anchoring, but if you need to hold the Island at an angle, you could add a second line to the "O" ring, leading to the pad-eye in the middle of the ama and back to the cockpit. You can then swing the vessel to about 45 degrees to the anchor.

To retrieve the anchor, pull on the retrieve line (who knew eh? :mrgreen: ) and then lift the anchor over the aka into the cockpit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Tony, that sounds lie a simple setup...

Most anchor trolleys incorporate some sort of shock-absorber (on my Revos and Sport I had a 50cm length of 6mm bungee cord tied into the trolley line)
do you think there's any need for it somewhere on the A.I.?

Most of my anchoring will be in fairly flat water, with perhaps a 0.5m to 1.0m swell (max), so some 'stretch' would probably be handy (or not needed?)

Cheers,

Mike.

<edit> I just thought of something - I'd be doing all of my fishing (at anchor) facing down the tide, so I'd need to be anchored from the rear...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mingle:
I think I have one of the best anchor setups on my TI, which could also be used on an AI.

Here is a pic of my setup:

I made a small bracket that is lashed down to the rear deck in an out of the way area, I then put a 3 ft piece of sq aluminum that pivots up. The 150 ft of anchor line coils up on a spool on my motor mount to keep the anchor line tidy (150 ft of anchor line completely fills the cockpit area, and makes a huge mess if not organized).
I keep my boat on the trailer so the anchor setup is never removed. When not in use the anchor hangs harmlessly above and behind the boat, I have a bungy that I loop over it when on the trailer so it doesn't wave and swing back and forth. I keep the anchor line tied of to the rear lifting handle when not using the anchor. When I am using the anchor I grab the line and drop the anchor, spool out the line to the necessary depth, then tie a slip knot on the rear AKA bar to hold. The anchor is completely automatic, it drops and deploys automatically (just release the rope), and to retrieve I just pull the rope until the anchor bracket is tilted up, then tie it off. When we are out I just pile the excess anchor line on the tramp. It only take a couple seconds to deploy and retrieve so when I'm following my divers I might deploy and retrieve a half dozen times as I'm following them.
I'm using the 4 lb Fortress Guardian G7 aluminum anchor which works great down here in Florida (got it at West Marine). On the AI you could probably use the 2.5 lb Guardian G5 model.
We are scuba divers (and occasional spear fishing) and really need to have a good anchor system, (we have had the boat drag away from us using two Hobie grapple anchors).
We also land at a lot of beaches and surf zones. The anchor really comes in handy for that. Basically we get into the surf zone, then when in waist to chest deep water we drop the anchor and feed out anchor line to keep the boat straight (bow first). When we go back out we just haul on the anchor line to get us out of the surf (yes we sometimes pull the boat out backwards if the surf is very low, but usually we manually turn the boat around holding onto the anchor line then pull ourselves out bow first). Often instead of coming all the way into shore we will just anchor 50 ft off shore, we do that actually a lot when we meet up with out powerboating friends, down here the beaches are lined with boats anchored just off the beaches (we call em party barges). We have a second anchor that we deploy to hold the boat so it doesn't move side to side.
The guy at West Marine (where I bought my anchor) got really upset with me, he was insisting that I have to get this huge 15 ft heavy chain to go with the anchor. I said why make a 4 lb anchor if you have to have 50 lbs of chain rode on it. I said my boat is plastic and only 200 lbs and I don't want that chain chopping up my boat. I finally said I'll try it without your stupid chain and if I have problems I'll come back and buy the stupid chain (he was really mad by then LOL). That was a couple years ago now and as divers, that's the first thing we do is follow the anchor line down and check on the anchor, I've checked it a couple hundred times now in all kinds of bottoms, and have not had a problem with it not catching, and if it does slip a little on a rocky bottom is catches again quickly on the next rock, so I never got the stupid chain, but that's just my circumstances in Florida (where it's mostly sandy), as I'm sure every area is different.
Hope this helps you
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mingle wrote:
Thanks Tony, that sounds lie a simple setup...

Most anchor trolleys incorporate some sort of shock-absorber (on my Revos and Sport I had a 50cm length of 6mm bungee cord tied into the trolley line)
do you think there's any need for it somewhere on the A.I.?

Most of my anchoring will be in fairly flat water, with perhaps a 0.5m to 1.0m swell (max), so some 'stretch' would probably be handy (or not needed?)

Cheers,

Mike.

<edit> I just thought of something - I'd be doing all of my fishing (at anchor) facing down the tide, so I'd need to be anchored from the rear...

The shock cord is to keep the trolley tight against the boat not to provide stretch. Proper anchoring technique will provide the flexibility you want. Use a lightweight rode, 1/4" or 5/16" nylon, which has around 6% elasticity, use enough rode for conditions, and research a little about how to anchor.

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the anchor trolly. Some guy on e-Bay wanted all of $5 bucks and the same for shipping. So $10 is what it cost.
I love it!
Install is easy and nearly stupid-proof. I use it for other things as well.
One night on my 10 day trip to Lake Havasu AZ the wind came up to 60mph and I slept through it all. My AI was in the cove with a 5lb anchor attached to the trolly. 9 Other big power boats were around me.
The following morning, my AI was still there and the 9...on the beach. They broke free.
There is always a way to do it differently but why try if it is already done?

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
2 12V 700ma batteries in Parallel
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass
14 days of electronics easy