Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First season with my TI (Yellow). My wife and I are having a blast on the bays of eastern Long Island.
Some newbie questions (sorry if they have been covered):
- I bought an electric winch to help my back in gettting the TI up the sand. Any tips on rigging?
- Any advice on proper sequence for beaching on sand in shallow bay water. i.e., furl sail, dagger up, drives up, ruddder up and locked.
- Is there a dolly with fat wheels I can drag the TI onto? I have the Hobie wheels but they are tough to put on (need 2 people & I have to pick up the boat).
- I read about Hakas/Tramps - can I simply tie wrap a rescue board (or other simple wood board) to the braces? Can I do only one side?
- Can I simply attach a small fluke style anchor to the same hook as the handle? Saw an anchor trolley accessory that looks iinvolved to install.
- Should I open the drain plugs after every sail?
- My drive flippers slap against the hull - do I need to move the pedals?
- For eve sailing I have fore and aft white LED lights and a white navisafe light for the mast. Has anyone strung LED lights to outline the TI?
- There are several draw bridges on the bays - should I take down the mast and peddle or honk a horn and have them open the bridge?
- I am locking it up using a cable thru the drive hole. That ok?

Some observations:
- It is fabulous fun so far.
- Gets lots of nods & thumbs up.
- I bought a waterproof - blue tooth speaker (Ecoxbt). A perfect add-on
- I owned a Hobie 14 years ago - the experience hepled a lot
- My rudder has the same problem as many - harder to push to port and not centered
- You always get wet. doh.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome aboard! I will try and answer as many of your questions as I can
- I bought an electric winch to help my back in getting the TI up the sand. Any tips on rigging?
I treat my TI as a nomal boat, and launch it directly from my trailer. I only use my manual winch to tighten it up the last foot or so, as it slides easily on the cradles when wet (I had a double spinal fusion, so look after my back too)
- Any advice on proper sequence for beaching on sand in shallow bay water. i.e., furl sail, dagger up, drives up, ruddder up and locked.
My sequence is the same as yours.
- Is there a dolly with fat wheels I can drag the TI onto? I have the Hobie wheels but they are tough to put on (need 2 people & I have to pick up the boat).
I have no dolly, I use the trailer as above.
- I read about Hakas/Tramps - can I simply tie wrap a rescue board (or other simple wood board) to the braces? Can I do only one side?
Nothing wrong with a haka from materials at hand.
- Can I simply attach a small fluke style anchor to the same hook as the handle? Saw an anchor trolley accessory that looks iinvolved to install.
I prefer to add a "D" shackle to the bow fitting, and run the anchor line through that, and tie it off to the front crossbar. You can then add to this by making a retrieval line from the cockpit to an "O" shackle attached to your anchor line outside of the D shackle. Pulling the retrieval line brings all the anchor gear back to you. I store my anchor line under the bungees on the front hatch, ready to attach the anchor.
- Should I open the drain plugs after every sail?
I tend to only open the ama plugs if there has been a large temperature change, to depressurise them. The main hull drain gets opened if there has been a lot of water over the deck. Be careful though, as these plugs can sometimes fall out if left open while travelling on the road.
- My drive flippers slap against the hull - do I need to move the pedals?
Yup, move the pedals forward until the fins don't slap
- For eve sailing I have fore and aft white LED lights and a white navisafe light for the mast. Has anyone strung LED lights to outline the TI?
To comply with the law (it varies depending on where you are), usually a single allround masthead white light is enough, but carry a torch you can shine on the sail too.
- There are several draw bridges on the bays - should I take down the mast and peddle or honk a horn and have them open the bridge?
Depends on local regs, but I do not see why getting the bridge open for you is wrong...
- I am locking it up using a cable thru the drive hole. That ok?
It is usually a good idea to also secure the amas (I presume you store the drives elsewhere?)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just to clarify - my TI is in a boat storage shed about 20-30 meters from the bay. No room nor need for a trailer. I need to pull it into the shed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:wink: Several owners (and Hobie) have made the comment that the Hobie dolly with the cradle should be used for transporting the Hobie. The scupper holes have been reinforced on the newer models to accommodate the older style of beach dolly where the vertical shafts go up into the scuppers, but after using my old style dolly only once...I noticed that the hull flexed considerably. I never used it again. I didn't want cracks in the hull. Regardless of the version of the dolly you use, I would always remove the amas and carry them by hand. They do add considerable weight.
The type of tires also will play a role on how easy it would be to pull the Hobie across the beach. If the beach is soft sand, I would recommend the '42 cm beach tires' or the '38 cm tuff tire' if you are transporting over solid surfaces. The dolly+tires is pretty expensive: $400-500. I believe that you can see photos of either style on the Hobie website.